Pool will not balance - tried all settings

Spider99

Question

Have searched for similar problems but it appears that most of the solutions revolve around update to a new beta - but i am on the latest 740 beta

I have two pools on the same 2012r2 server - one balances fine the other will not

I have the same settings on both - only SSD optimiser and scanner plugins active

the non balancing pool shows it not 100% balanced via bar at bottom 

manual re balance - thinks about it for a few seconds but does not move any files

set it to balance immediately with no time limit - no files moved

set it to maintain 100% balanced - no files moved

The main drive graphic shows that files should be moved (blue triangles)

Its causing backups to fail as when A_SSD files up the backup fails with "..not enough space..." - happened two nights in a row now

There is a difference between the pools in that the non balancing one is only partly duplicated - the other is fully duplicated

The backup should be duplicated on the non working pool - hence why B_SSD is light blue

Chris - Options??

11 answers to this question

Install the latest version of StableBit DrivePool.

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.740_x64_BETA.exe

After doing this, open the balancing settings.  Set the ratio slider to "100%", and save the settings. 

If that doesn't help, let me know. 

Well, the "Real Time Drive Limiters" are probably why this is occurring. 

From the looks of it, the data is duplicated (or at least enabled for the destination folder), correct? 

If so, then it's checking both disks.  From the image, one of the disks doesn't have enough free space (as marked by the real time placement limiters") and is returning the error. 

As for the pool not balancing the data off of the disk in question, I'm not entirely sure about that.

Could you grab the logs from the system, then:

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

Hi chris

The error occurs because the B_SSD wont balance off and the backup fails when there is not enough space left on either disk - it does not fail over to the archive disks as it should

The data is duplicated but this is just a happy coincidence at the moment as i have the "backup" duplicated

I will upload the logs a bit later as running a AV scan and it has a few hours to go yet and dont want to stop it

I just reset the pool options to default and it appears to be working now - this reminded me that i had to do this a couple of weeks ago

The strange thing is that the settings which do not work on pool2 work fine on pool1 - difference is that pool1 is fully duplicated(x2) and has 4 SSD's

Could it be the lack of full duplication which is the issue?

Well, glad that resetting seems to have fixed the issue.

As for the settings working on one but not another, that is odd.  They should work fine on both, though it does depend on the exact settings. 

Though, if you mean the creating new files (backup), then this may be normal. Duplicated data is created in parallel, so if one of the drives doesn't have enough free space, it could cause issues. 

In either case, if this continues to occur, then please do let me know. 

Chris

the issue is back :(

But i have tracked it to one option that causes the issue :)

Over the last few days i have been slowly changing the options in balancing to match my other pool

yesterday i changed the Ordered Placement rules in the SSD Optimiser - checked "Prioritise the placement of unduplicated files...." and i changed the order of the disks

This caused the Balancing to fail overnight.

Having just unchecked that option this morning the balancing is working again with a little manual encouragement 

I usually have the Duplicated tab set to use the same order as unduplicated but had not go that set yet as that was the next option to try

Just checked and balancing is working through the data to move of the ssd's :)

I guess this is a bug rather than any combination of things?

Sorry, I've been "under the weather" (well, more accurately, "under the knife" out patient surgery) and I haven't been feeling great (Gallbladders are HORRIBLE organs). 

For the "Ordered Placement", I'm assuming you meant the "Ordered File Placement" option in the SSD Optimizer balancer, correct? 

yes the option to order the drives to fill up in a set order

Okay, 

And no other balancers (other than StableBit Scanner) are enabled, no file placement rules are enabled, balancing is enabled (on the main settings)

If so, I'm using a similar setup, and am not having any issues... so this is very odd. 

Could you open a ticket, and run the StableBit Troubleshooter?

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

get well soon - old man had his out - hot fun

Thanks.  I've been feeling better day by day, but ... ugh. Pain is not fun.