Local Drive Pre-Allocation

rbutler81

Question

Hi all, it seems that if you create a local CloudDrive, all of the chunk files are created right away - right up to the size of the drive you've created.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't happen when you create a Clouddrive in say, Dropbox for example.

I would prefer not to pre-allocate the chunk files on the local discs because of drive failure.

If I'm creating this local CloudDrive in a DrivePool made up of local, physical discs and a drive fails - there's nowhere to evacuate the chunk files to (if the local CloudDrive is the same size as the DrivePool - which mine is).

Is there a way for local CloudDrives to act more like "real" CloudDrives and add chunk files on the fly as needed?

Should I be using something like TrueCrypt to make a local, encrypted drive instead of CloudDrive? I know there is an option in TrueCrypt to either pre-allocate or not... the problem would be I think a TrueCrypt drive is one file (correct me if I'm wrong) and would not be able to be spanned across different physical discs in a DrivePool.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Thanks for the quick reply... this would be a great feature if it could be done.

If I have 1 drive fail I imagine I would lose the whole DrivePool?

Would be hard to trust my data to something like that.

If duplication was not enabled,  yes, losing one drive would "break" the entire CloudDrive disk, as a large chunk of data would be lost.  

So, I would recommend enabling duplication for the underlying pool, to help ensure that this doesn't occur.