drive recovery

skapy

Question

Hello,

i was restarting my server and now stablebit says it needs to recover my drives.

stablebit.png

This are 3 drives where every drive have about 2tb of data.

Cache locally is about 50gb for every drive.

How long will it take to recover my drives with this hardware:

xeon cpu 4x2,4ghz 8 threads

2x2 tb hdd

32 gbit ram

1gbit full duplex

best regards

1 answer to this question

Yay...

For time, this entirely depends. This is a complex issue and wasn't an easy fix.

There are actually two issues here. The first is that we can no longer trust Google Drive (and some other providers) to give us a proper/complete directory listing. So we need to manually indexing everything. That's what you're seeing in the "Chunk ID" logging above. 

The second issue (in part, caused by the first) is that somewhere between our software and Google... certain uploads were not being handled properly. 

What i mean, is that when we would send partial writes to the provider, they were being saved as NEW chunks, replacing the old.  This is a horrible, horrible thing to do.... as it essentially wipes out any of the old data. 

You may QUICKLY see how this could go south very fast. 

We've fixed the issue that caused this to occur in the first place and have upgraded the API version, to help prevent it from occurring as well.

However, that leaves the existing data.  We do need to do *something* here.  Well, we don't need to, but that would leave you with partial data.  

So the recovery process is taking the oldest file, and "applying" the next oldest file to it.  It repeats this until each chunk has been merged into the main chunk.    This is an incredibly time consuming process.  But this would fix the data on the provider.

If this didn't happen, then our recommendation would be to destroy the drive and recreate. Since that's a shitty answer, the recovery is necessary to regain intact data. .