Only duplicates on a CloudDrive

rbutler81

Question

I know this has been asked before - I've even read a few threads on it, but I still can't seem to find a 100% "for sure" answer...

What I have in my pool is this:

Drive A - local drive

Drive B - local drive

Drive C - local drive

Drive D - clouddrive

What I want:

1) All my files to be saved to drives A, B and C

2) Folders that I choose to duplicate ONLY to be duplicated to drive D

What I don't want:

1) Duplicates on any of my local drives.

2) Non-duplicated files on drive D

The thread here:  http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1231-how-do-i-keep-duplicated-data-on-the-pool-but-other-copies-anywhere-else/

is suggesting that I don't change the Drive Usage Limiter balancer, and just create rules for only the folders I want duplicated. In those rules I would ONLY choose drive D.

In doing that, am I not limiting that folder to only be saved to drive D? It's not making much sense to me. How does that put just the duplicates on drive D and allow the "original" file to go on drives A, B or C - when they're all unchecked?

Hopefully someone has a definitive answer for this as it's not very clear.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

To clarify here, "duplicated data" will show up on multiple disks, because we don't differentiate original from duplicate. 

That said, this is relatively simple. The caveat is that the pool condition will never be 100% in this case. 

(this is something we plan on addressing with "duplication grouping" in the future). 

TO do this:

1. Click on Pool Options
  2. select "Balancing..."
  3. Open the "Balancers" tab
  4. click on "Drive Usage Limiter"
  5. Uncheck "Unduplicated" for the D:\ drive
  6. Uncheck "Duplicated" for every drive BUT the D: drive. 
  7. Save. 

Unchecking "Unduplicated" for the D:\ drive means that ONLY duplicated data will be stored on this drive. Unduplicated data will not be allowed to placed on the drive. 

(this causes no issues).

Unchecking the duplicated ata for all of the drives but the D:\ drive means that the only viable location for duplicated data is the D: drive.  This means that it will store a copy of all of the duplicated data on this drive. 

However, the problem arises because there is no viable location for the second copy of the files. Duplication takes precedence here, and overrides the balancing settings, meaning that it will write the duplicated data to the other drives, even though it's "not allowed". 

This specifically causes the pool condition to degrade, because it is violating balancing settings to ensure duplication exists.