Chunk Size or other values

ironhead65

Question

I'm hoping this thread can "pin" together all the best settings that everyone finds works for them.  If I leave anything out, please comment and let me know.

I think that knowing the number of threads (upload/download), speed of your internet connection (upload/download), anything special about it (in my case I have two connections that are pooled using pfSense), size of the drive, chunk size, if you are using drivepool, number of drives in the pool, services.

The reason I think this is useful, I have essentially left everything at defaults (but for a few things) and am getting the sense that with my exact configuration a 10MB chunk might be too large.  Maybe it is the VOLUME of data I tried to push at one time, but using the Technical Details page, I see a lot of chunks get 10-20% uploaded, then fail.  It "SEEMS" that the chunk is resumed, but again, I get 10-20% more and it fails again.  I'm not sure this is good for the system, so would a 1MB chunk work better?  I plan to test this in the future, but at this time, I'm still trying to get 1 final successful DUMP to see how well my backup strategy will work using my various cloud drives pooled together.

Update: after STOPPING the data flowing INTO the cache (stopped my copy of files) waiting for drive response - maybe your internet is too slow throttling messages went away.  I guess the defaults seem ok for now, it just does not like to be FLOODED with a TON of data all at once.  I think what also helped, as I am using this as a CloudPool (layering Drivepool on top of these drives), I disabled all balancers for this drivepool.  I thought, I'd try that as it might have been trying to move files around while it was still uploading the flood of data into the pool.  I decided that I could always re-enable them later on if I desired.  For now, I just wanted the logical "one drive access" to the entire pool of the many cloud drives I have setup.

So, is there settings that you have found that seem to work really well for you?  If so, could you please post them?  I'd certainly like to mess around with the settings in order to tune for optimal use.  I thought I would start by standing on the shoulders of giants, listen to those that have experience with this already!

Thanks!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet