Is DrivePool abandoned software?

anotherforumname

Question

As a paying customer, i'm concerned by the complete lack of release stable updates over this extended period.The latest stable version 2.1.1.561 which was released eons ago. I know there have been some subsequent betas into the 2.2.x range but as we all know, that means nothing if nothing actually gets released in some form of a reasonable time frame. If this software has been abandoned, please let us know so we can migrate to other solutions as no one in their right mind should be using software that doesn't receive at least semi-regular updates.

No response to this post would also be worrying as it would indicate a lack of attention and concern on the forum and in-turn the software itself.

That's odd with the ReFS stuff.  I'm using it personally, and no issues whatsoever.  But that may be due to the hardware you're using (CPU and memory). 

But if NTFS is definitely working best.

As for the Ordered File Placement balancer, if you're using the SSD Optimizer, yes, it's the same. But there was a bug that couldn't be resolved when using the both, so we added the ordered file placement stuff to the SSD Optimizer. 

So really, use one or the other, but not both. 

As for the cascading files, it's regardless of the type.  And no, there isn't really a way to fine tune it, at this time. 

You can, however, use the File Placement rules to limit what disks the files end up on, and that *may* get you the desired result. 

Just note the balancing settings, on the main page.

On 2/9/2017 at 12:08 PM, anotherforumname said:

As a paying customer, i'm concerned by the complete lack of release stable updates over this extended period.The latest stable version 2.1.1.561 which was released eons ago. I know there have been some subsequent betas into the 2.2.x range but as we all know, that means nothing if nothing actually gets released in some form of a reasonable time frame. If this software has been abandoned, please let us know so we can migrate to other solutions as no one in their right mind should be using software that doesn't receive at least semi-regular updates.

No response to this post would also be worrying as it would indicate a lack of attention and concern on the forum and in-turn the software itself.

This is a bullshit post. 

DrivePool works. And has worked well for years.

You paid a trivial amount of money for a fantastic piece of software that simply performs and you act like you were served up the complete opposite.

What bugs have you encountered that have inhibited your ability to use the product?  How many support tickets have gone unanswered?

You are not entitled to free updates for life while simultaneously expecting someone to fix something that isn't broke.

I for one am ecstatic that I am able to basically ignore Drivepool. It just works and has never caused me any issues.. 

I'm sure the Stablebit folks appreciate your enthusiasm for the product and posts like yours probably do encourage them to work harder but you can make the same points without acting like an entitled snot..

:)

I disagree.  It's a legitimate concern.  No product is perfect. There are always issues that exist. And new features that can be added. 

However, yeah, it may have been strongly worded/aggressive in nature.  

But honestly, it really doesn't matter.  It's been too long since a stable release, and that is a problem.  And one we hope to have remedied soon. 

bit late to the game, but I've seen many companies that no longer exists and pretty much share a similar story. 

there is 1 developer, isn't 100% dedicated. has other interests and hobbies. few years into it, loses focus, chases tails, loses interest as it's still working. support fades, links no longer work, website starts failing. boom! gone....

Same scenario can be seen in mobile phone app developers as well. mind you that most software has millions if not thousands of downloads, in comparison...

Also, there are new controllers, new hard disks, etc. that, I don't know the programming of DrivePool, but just like everything else, would have to support new hardware and any keep up-to-date with changes to Windows, Linux, etc.. 

So, I think it is a very valid concern. 

Well, we just had a new release.  (so maybe I should unpin this thread). 

That said, Alex (the Owner and Developer) is dedicated to the products.  This is his day job, basically. So there is a vested interest in keeping the company running, and bug fixes out. 

That said, we do have some long term plans.  Both for future products, and for long term sustainability of the company. 
And you can see that information here: http://wiki.covecube.com/Development_Status#Future_Products

As for StableBit DrivePool, no need to support new hardware.  It's very hardware agnostic, in fact.  
StableBit Scanner, however, is more hardware dependant.  And we are planning some changes to that (NVMe support soon, in fact). 

But a company's longevity is always a concern.  No matter the size.  It's cliche, but look at BlockBuster. A huge company... gone.
But that said, we have no plans on abandoning the software.  And if we ever ended up in the position that we'd need to close our doors or the like, we'd definitely you know.

Updates are a blessing and  a curse....

So often software starts out as something good but not yet complete. Updates are very welcome at that point.
But there comes a point a product is finished feature wise.

But the product must keep generating cash, so stuff must be added. Often every year because licenses expire. So new income.
But when a product is finished, what should be added? That's often the point a product turns into bloatware. Which I hate.
Wizards. Bloated skins. Animations.

StableBit now has 3 programs for sale and some in the pipeline (I would like to get my hands on StabelBit.me!)
I just bought the bundle of three after less than 3 days trial.
Anyway my point is that some companies would merged all those things into one product. Especially Scanner is a logical companion/part of DrivePool. It integrates and could be called one piece of software.

My point is this: The way StableBit does things right now causes people to think DrivePool is abandon ware.
If StableBit would gradually added Scanner and Cloud functionality to DrivePool, people would applaud for the many updates.
But the total amount of functionality is exactly the same...

Some people may need just one thing and they can buy just that one thing at a fair price.
If StableBit would have merged everything into one program the customer would be 'forced' to buy all that unwanted functionality.
Very likely at a much higher price.
DrivePool then would likely had the bundle price of $60 instead of the current price ($30).

@PoolBoy Well, the abandonware concern was due to the fact that it was several years between stable releases.  That was because of StableBit CloudDrive (which was a LOT more complicated than we initially anticipated, .... but I'm sure you know how that goes!).   But that shouldn't be an issue anymore, at this point.  

On 8/22/2018 at 6:54 PM, PoolBoy said:

Some people may need just one thing and they can buy just that one thing at a fair price.

If StableBit would have merged everything into one program the customer would be 'forced' to buy all that unwanted functionality.
Very likely at a much higher price.
DrivePool then would likely had the bundle price of $60 instead of the current price ($30).

The current method of separate modules, where we can pick and choose which options to use together gets my (very strong) vote!

Jamming them all together will just create unneeded bloat for some.

I would still pay a "forced" bundle price, if it gave me the option to use just the modules I need... and maybe add one or more of the others later.

I'm amazed at the quality of product/s that one (I think?) developer has produced and offering for a low - as Chris says, almost impulse buy - price.

Keep up the good work and bug squashing guys!