Windows Backup / DrivePool

rbutler81

Question

Hi guys, quick question.

I have a DrivePool with certain folders duplicated (not the whole pool). Those folders that are duplicated, I also want to backup with Windows Backup to another drive.

This doesn't seem to be possible as I've read somewhere that VSS is not compatible with DrivePool.

The reason I want to use Windows Backup is for file versioning / restoring. Having the files duplicated via DrivePool is great for disk failures, but what if something gets deleted accidentally? Or I want to go back to an earlier version of a file? Windows Backup handles those cases just fine.. which is why I'd like to use it. DrivePool isn't really protecting me from accidental deletion.

See attached screen shot of the error I received while attempting to do the first Windows Backup of the folders in my pool.

If Windows Backup isn't an option to accomplish what I want, does anyone have any suggestions for 3rd party software that can handle file versioning restore points / restore from deletion in conjunction with DrivePool?

Thanks!

post-2941-0-25169900-1486577299_thumb.png

5 answers to this question

What OS are you running? I do use Windows Server Backup and that _can_ work provided you backup the underlying HDDs/Partitions/Volumes. And yes, barring some special circumstances or Stablebit implementing Strings/Groups, that likely means you'll be backing up duplicates if they are in the Pool.

It's Windows 7.

My solution with AutoVer has been working for me.

Has the idea to include versioning to the DrivePool been considered as a built-in feature? Either the whole pool or certain files / folders.

This could be handy... especially if the versioning can take place on a disk that's not included in the DrivePool.

Just a thought...

Has the idea to include versioning to the DrivePool been considered as a built-in feature? Either the whole pool or certain files / folders.

This could be handy... especially if the versioning can take place on a disk that's not included in the DrivePool.

Just a thought...

Well the built in versioning (Previous Versions) depends on VSS, which is not supported on the pool. 

Additionally, in my experience, Previous versions are notoriously unreliable.  Adding a lot of data, defragging or even running a CHKDSK pass will cause it to dump the snapshots. 

As for providing a different method for versioning? It's been brought up before, but it's not really a simple thing to implement.