Beta vs Stable

britcowboy

Question

Hi,

I'm currently trialing Drivepool, I'm using the Stable version. I'm seeing some things which I have googled, such as read striping only seemingly reading from one disk so transfer maxes out at 120mb/s (when I'd expect faster), and these seem to be fixed in the beta. http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1438-testing-read-striping-win-10/page-2this topic is from 2015, so I assumed it was in the stable version by now - but unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem to be - from googling I can see that the current stable version 2.1.1.561 was out in 2014! What does this mean for Drivepool? Is development stagnet? Why aren't the beta fixes making it in Stable? Usually I wouldn't touch a beta product with a barge pole for my data, but is the beta the branch I should be running?

1 answer to this question

Well, if you check the dates for the CloudDrive .... that may give you a clue as to what is going on.

Specifically, we (Covecube) are a small company.   That means limited resources.  

A majority of our time has been spent on StableBit CloudDrive for the last couple of years.   This means less time for StableBit DrivePool or StableBit Scanner developement. 

The problem is that it turned out to be a much more complicated product than we anticipated, and we've ran into a number of pretty nasty bugs (there are a number of members that can attest to that).   

This means that we haven't had time to focus on the other products, delaying development and releases for them.

That said, we are very close to a release build for StableBit CloudDrive.  And once that is out, we plan on hitting the DrivePool and Scanner code and pushing out new public beta's and release builds of those as well.  

I can't really give ETAs for those, as we would rather take our time and do it right than rushing to hit a deadline.  

That said, there are newer beta versions with specific bug fixes, and these beta versions are very stable (I and others use them on production systems). 

I hate recommending beta builds, for various reasons, so I completely understand not wanting to use them.

That said, the latest betas are very stable, and include a huge number of fixes. 

If you want, you can find the latest here:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.739_x64_BETA.exe

However, as for the speeds, Read Striping may not get significantly faster than the underlying disks.  This depends heavily on the system, and what is going on.