MyDigitalSSD BPX 480GB NVMe SSD - No SMART status

gj80

I've switched my desktop over to Windows 10 on one of these:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mydigitalssd-480gb-bpx-80mm-2280-m.2-pcie-gen3-x4-nvme-ssd-mdnvme80-bpx-0512/

CrystalDiskInfo shows the SMART status for the drive, but StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3103_BETA says "The on-disk SMART check is not accessible"

The DirectIOTest results are attached. Thanks

post-2256-0-00432700-1483620372_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

HI gj80,

I'm thinking about getting this drive for my new build. If I may can I ask you a few questions?

Do you like it? If so why.

Did they fix the scanner software so that you can see smart status?

Thank you for your time & help..

Phil

HI gj80,

I'm thinking about getting this drive for my new build. If I may can I ask you a few questions?

Did they fix the scanner software so that you can see smart status?

Thank you for your time & help..

Phil

We haven't fixed the issue here (eg, there is likely a new method for querying the data, that we need to research and add. 

That said, NVMe is much faster than SSD, so you'll get that much better performance.

However, I've seen a few people report that they do get rather hot, so you'll want to have good airflow in the system or you may see performance throttling. 

I do. The speeds are amazing. I ran CrystalDiskMark, and I got the speeds they advertised on the product page (http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mydigitalssd-480gb-bpx-80mm-2280-m.2-pcie-gen3-x4-nvme-ssd-mdnvme80-bpx-0512/) - ~2700MB/s read and ~1400MB/s write. The price is very competitive too.

As far as what Christopher mentioned - yes, it does get very hot when under load. VERY hot. It thermally throttles itself, but not as aggressively as I would like - I've seen its temperature climb above 90C. I did some research and it appears that basically all the nvme drives out there get similarly hot without airflow. This was in an open test bench setup with no airflow. After I set up a quiet 120mm fan aimed in its general direction the temperatures under heavy load became more reasonable (70C or so) and it stopped thermal throttling.

The airflow from a norco case with its fan wall should be more than sufficient.

Thanks Christoper for your quick reply.

I'm getting the Norco 4216. Would the fans blowing across the motherboard help to cool this card? Or is there something else I would need to do?

Again Thanks.

Phil

Yes, that should definitely help.  The airflow should help keep the drive cool.