*WARNING* Detaching drive in .783 DETROYS your CD

raidz

Question

So I thought when I detached a drive last week I accidentally hit destroy instead of detach and wrote it off as my own stupidity.

I just detached another drive today and CD destroyed it. I lost 40 TBs of data. DO NOT detach your cloud drive until they figure this out.

I am extremely pissed to say the least. I have lost two drives now in the past 7 days, some with data I did not have backed up in another place.

This is extremely unacceptable and I warn all of you of putting anything worth your time on these drives until they make this software more reliable.

I guess the software is listed as beta, so my own fault for thinking it wouldn't ruin a drive in one fell swoop.

Data actually isn't gone but the files they wrote to have no previous versions so it looks like I cannot recover. 

3 answers to this question

To be blunt, this shouldn't happen.

The only reason that the drive would show up as "Destroyed" in the UI, is if the metadata file for it was deleted, but the rest of the contents remained. 

In the UI, drives show up as destroyed if their cloudpart folder exists, but the metadata file doesn't (or can't be retrieved for any reason).
when you destroy a drive, the first thing that gets wiped out is the metadata (to "mark" the drive destroyed beyond this point), then the actual chunks of data get deleted

If this is happening consistently then please do let us know.

And in this case, please enable logging, and fiddlercap, and reproduce this issue.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Drive_Tracing

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Web_Logs

And once you've done that, run this:

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

I've also spent the last hour trying to reproduce this (on 1.0.0.784 though) without any success. Detaching and re-attaching the drive repeatedly.

So if something is going on here, it may be localized to your hardware, connection or account. 

And could you check "\StableBit CloudDrive\CloudPart-xxxxx\xxxxx-METADATA" for contents, and post it here or in a ticket, if it exists? 

This happened to me and it turned out it was due to me having used .769 or .770 which caused two "Stablebit CloudDrive" folders to exist. It would load the wrong folder and show as deleted.

Make a ticket and they will help fix it! - A lot of files ended up corrupted though, but unsure if this was the cause