ACD does not delete chunks when I delete files from the drive

smartz34

Question

Hi,

Quick question on chunks being deleted after deleting files on the drive for Amazon Cloud Drive.

I created a 15TB Amazon Cloud Drive..drive. I uploaded 1 GB of data to Amazon Cloud Drive with full drive encryption. I deleted all the files on the 15TB drive. Looked on ACD web and chunks totaling 1 GB are still on the ACD SBCD folder. Is this normal? I was expecting SBCD to delete the chunks that are not needed any more from ACD folder.

Not a real issue since ACD is unlimited.

Will this happen on other providers that are not unlimited? For example, if i upload 800GB to Dropbox, delete 700GB (net 100GB) and then upload another 500GB (net 600GB), will my total on Dropbox be 600GB or the total of 800+500GB = 1.3TB?

Or am i missing a feature that deletes the chunks after i delete the files from the 15TB drive? I tried the "Cleanup" option but don't think its for the above.

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

Yes, this may be normal. 

NTFS doesn't really "delete" files, It just removes the file info, and leaves the actual data. 

Using defrag programs that handle thin provisioned drives may fix this, as they zero out the unused data. 

Ah ok, good to know it's normal. Tried a disk defrag tool and did not do anything. I guess the data will be stuck there until it is removed. Good thing ACD is unlimited.

Do you have one that you recommend?

That depends on the defrag tool.   Not all handle thin provisioned drives (a more "server" thing).  

Most of these will zero out unused data, so that it can shrink the files used, or reallocate the unused blocks to reduce usage. 

As for recommended? 
I use PerfectDisk.  The Server/Pro versions doe support manually setting as "thin provisioned". 

And they have a  bundle for 1x Server license and 5x Pro licenses, which is what I purchased, long time ago.