Issues with Drive Idling on LSI based HBA cards

Christopher (Drashna)

Question

For anyone that is interested: 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11859-lsi-spindown-win-81win-10win-2016/&do=findComment&comment=123066

The link contains two methods to alter the driver information to properly enable idling for the controller.

The first method is another link and is editing drivers. It requires editing driver files and disabling the driversigning enforcement.   

The second method is a registry hack.

3 answers to this question

I have a Supermicro board with a LSI 2116. Doesn't seem to work for me. I set the registry setting, rebooted. Then I set the disks sleep to five minutes in my power plan. I also tried setting the disks to sleep in Scanner, manually. Doesn't seem to work unfortunately. Anyone with luck?

On 5/11/2019 at 5:20 AM, bob19 said:

I have a Supermicro board with a LSI 2116. Doesn't seem to work for me. I set the registry setting, rebooted. Then I set the disks sleep to five minutes in my power plan. I also tried setting the disks to sleep in Scanner, manually. Doesn't seem to work unfortunately. Anyone with luck?

I’ve been battling this for a solid week now.  It’s not scanner it’s drivepool itself.  At least in my case.  I was coincidentally in a position with a brand new windows install and my drives zzzz.  I installed the stablebit trio.  Sleep went bye.  Disabled the services for each one by one.  Scanner disabled.  No sleep.  Cloud drive disabled. No sleep.  Drivepool disabled, started sleeping again.  

the hilarious part is the drive I was monitoring at the time for sleep isn’t even on the same controller or part of the pool. 

that being said, the lsi registry edit is necessary, as I tested it on my old windows install.  The hba connected disks wouldn’t sleep without it.  Wouldn’t sleep with drivepool service going either way. 

still I wanted a clean environment to be 100% and so that was the first thing I checked post format.