Drive keeps dismounting

Gbyrd

Question

Lately i have been noticing this a lot, where my drive suddenly dismounts. I have no idea what is causing this. I would leave it uploading things as i am trying to offload a lot of things onto my google drive, and suddenly i come back to it and it has dismounted

25 answers to this question

The drive can (will) unmount if it encounters a lot of errors in a short period of time.  This is to prevent the system from locking up (a lot of IO errors or waiting can cause it to hang). 

Could you install the latest beta build and see if that helps?

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.0.777_x64_BETA.exe

If not, let me know.

Hi Christopher, 

I have also been experiencing this issue across both Onedrive and google drive using the latest versions. I upgraded to 1.0.0.777 and still experiencing the issues. This generally occurs once every 18-24hrs and typically can be with no data transferring. 

Clouddrive is running on a VPS with 1ms latency to onedrive and 3ms latency to google drive with up to 500mbit transfer speeds to onedrive.

I also find that the program uses a large amount of memory and can cause a VPS to lock up with under 2GB.

Thanks

The drive can (will) unmount if it encounters a lot of errors in a short period of time.  This is to prevent the system from locking up (a lot of IO errors or waiting can cause it to hang). 

Could you install the latest beta build and see if that helps?

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.0.777_x64_BETA.exe

If not, let me know.

Downloaded will test it out, I have noticed Google drive download speed is now atrocious and extremely slow. 3 Mbps. before it use to do way more. Killing ability to stream

I'm also having this problem, never had this before on older versions. I'm using last BETA (777) available.

To recap my steps which reproduces this:

- Copy a bunch of files to the cloud

- In the middle of copying these files to the cache disk, the cloud drive disconnects.

- CloudDrive tries to upload the stuff I copied but the disk is unavailable (not visible in explorer) and I can't detach/reattach because there are files to be uploaded

- Bunch of "Error getting write requests from driver. The system cannot find the file specified" in logs, keeps spamming it until I reboot the system.

- Solution is to reboot system and after it, clouddrive tries to recover the cloud disk.

To make it short, it's almost impossible to upload a big stack of files since there's a good chance of this to happen.

So far it is working well in terms of dismounting. Not having issues with it on 777, The second it starts uploading it dismounts. And the downloading is maxing out at 15 mbps. But the verification chunks download way faster than 15mbps

Same here. Its unusable lately, its only prefatching with 2mbps on a 1gbit line.

@Christopher

Could you add an option (per drive) which forces CloudDrive to keep the disk mounted (with drive letter), because dismounting breaks other applications.

I understand that Windows may slow down significantly if the cloud provider does not respond to requests, but it's worse if you have to re-check a torrent of 1 TB because the disk just unmounted..

For those with the dismounting issue, could you enable logging and reproduce the issue? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Drive_Tracing

And could you open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact

@Christopher

Could you add an option (per drive) which forces CloudDrive to keep the disk mounted (with drive letter), because dismounting breaks other applications.

I understand that Windows may slow down significantly if the cloud provider does not respond to requests, but it's worse if you have to re-check a torrent of 1 TB because the disk just unmounted..

There is a global setting for this, and using that should work for the interim.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

Increase the "CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures" value.

And it's not just that it slows down the system, it can cause the entire system to hang. This is an I/O issue, and not something we can fix.  The option is to let the system hang, or unmount the drive.

For those with the dismounting issue, could you enable logging and reproduce the issue? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Drive_Tracing

And could you open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact

There is a global setting for this, and using that should work for the interim.

Increase the "CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures" value.

And it's not just that it slows down the system, it can cause the entire system to hang. This is an I/O issue, and not something we can fix.  The option is to let the system hang, or unmount the drive.

Still get dismounts on occasion will log it 

Any option of an automatic retry (when the drive dismounts and displays retry/reauthorize)? I think the default settings are a bit too strict. I have upload/download threads set to 3 (yes, three... and even at 3 i get the little yellow turtles still, throttling) with 1Gbps up/down (can hit 400mbs upload easily to ACD even with other bandwidth being used) and, again, while at work my drive dismounted at some point with only 6 errors in the status corner. It's obvious there isn't an issue, or maybe there are times when there are issues on Amazon's end, but forcing a manual retry to mount makes this a very very very managed setup. Maybe 15 minutes later do an automatic retry on mounting? Oh it works? Continue going? Something is still messed up with your connection? Doesn't mount and starts over with the counter.

Any option of an automatic retry (when the drive dismounts and displays retry/reauthorize)? I think the default settings are a bit too strict. I have upload/download threads set to 3 (yes, three... and even at 3 i get the little yellow turtles still, throttling) with 1Gbps up/down (can hit 400mbs upload easily to ACD even with other bandwidth being used) and, again, while at work my drive dismounted at some point with only 6 errors in the status corner. It's obvious there isn't an issue, or maybe there are times when there are issues on Amazon's end, but forcing a manual retry to mount makes this a very very very managed setup. Maybe 15 minutes later do an automatic retry on mounting? Oh it works? Continue going? Something is still messed up with your connection? Doesn't mount and starts over with the counter.

Yes, not having to click the "Retry" for remounting would be a BIG feature, it could auto retry every after 5, 10, 20, 30, 1hrs, 2 hrs, etc. 

The file is too large, do you have an alternative upload?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/lrCAeFa2EH9VSJqP3QLM

Change "CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures" to a higher value, and reboot.

Also, note, this value is over a 120 window, with each error resetting the window.

I changed it to 15 and still got a dismount. Sorry but I'm done with CloudDrive* for the moment, I'll revisit it in a few months and see what sort of improvements have been implemented. I'm 99% sure it has to do with the 1MB prefetch block downloads, that's just absurd I/O being put on ACD for a 3GB file that needs to be prefetched. And why that is tied to "minimum download size" is beyond me (may need to change the wording of that dropdown to clarify). And the fact it defaults to 1MB if you choose "no minimum size" which makes absolutely no sense. Yeah if I remade my drive and made it with settings that worked with what I know now, might not have as many issues (haven't been having issues with the Google Drive that I made with the increased minimum download size), but honestly I'm just tired of getting up to ~3TB of content loaded into a drive and then having to start over when someone notices another random setting that can only be done at drive creation.

* From a media storage standpoint, still using some licenses on my PCs at home because it's great for backing up "regular" stuff. I use it daily at my desktop moving off Dropbox to ACD and having an encrypted store mounted locally on my PC. AMAZING for that.

I'm 99% sure it has to do with the 1MB prefetch block downloads, that's just absurd I/O being put on ACD for a 3GB file that needs to be prefetched. 

Might want to follow this thread to see if/when its fixed. But yeah, that 3GB download being done in 1MB chunks is crazy inefficient. 3000 I/O requests when 300 would do (assuming the default 10MB chunk size) - thats 90% less API calls.

FWIW you only need to reattach a drive to change the minimum download size - you don't need to delete and recreate it.

The Minimum download size would change this, in most cases.

Increasing the minimum download sizes improves it, but then the opposite happens and you download much more than is needed for smaller reads.

Also, IIRC, if it's reading multiple contiguous blocks, it should be downloading the whole chunk, rather than just the single sections, I beleive. 

In that case there must be a bug, as this isn't happening with the pre-fetcher - it always breaks it up into MINIMUM_DOWNLOAD_SIZE chunks, even when multiple contiguous blocks are read. 10MB of prefetching will result in 10x1MB downloads, rather than a single 10MB download (or an 8MB + 2MB etc). Fixing it could cut down on API requests by 90% with default chunk sizes.

The fact minimum_download_size = none = 1MB chunks needs to be addressed in the next build. There's already a 1MB option, why would no minimum default to 1MB? I'd wager 95% of drives are set to no minimum because it makes the most sense of all the options if you don't know what it does in reality. That's an absurd amount of API calls being made to the service(s) that could be fixed.

I'm happy with the minimum download size as is and don't think it should be changed. It's perfect for smaller reads.

HOWEVER, for larger reads, ie. when the pre-fetcher kicks in, it doesn't increase that download size at all, making (by default) 10x the number of API calls than is needed. A 10MB pre-fetch (with default drive settings) could be one or two API calls rather than 10 as is what currently happens. So its more the way in which the pre-fetcher doesn't increase the download size when contiguous parts of the same chunk are downloaded, rather than the minimum download size itself.