Moving data between two drives on same cloud provider

otravers

Question

I'm currently testing CloudDrive and I like how I can see encrypted files right in the Windows explorer (well, Directory Opus in my case). I mounted two drives pointing to ACD, and I see that moving data from one to the other goes through my internet connection. Obviously very inefficient.

Is there a way to move data where the actual physical transfer happens directly in the cloud, which presumably should be "just" moving logical pointers within the same cloud? Is the answer maybe different depending on the cloud provider (ACD vs. GDrive and others)?

2 answers to this question

If you're talking about copying individual files, no. Everything on ACD is encrypted. You have no access to know which chunk = file.ext. You could move every chunk and then use the new ACD account to access the files, but they're not going to be replicated in real time after a copy. And you wouldn't be able to mount both on CloudDrive because they share the same UIDs. 

So outside of that, yes there exists software that does cloud -> cloud copy and doesn't require you to download the file then reupload to another cloud. I'm not going to mention it because I don't know their stance on mentioning other software on the forums, but you can google. 

Specifically, StableBit CloudDrive stores the data as raw chunks of disk data.  It's not transfering the files to Amazon, at least not directly. 

In essence, it's creating a VHD type file, mounting it, and breaking it up into a bunch of small pieces to be stored on the cloud provider. 

Because of this, there is no way to move files from one drive to another by "shuffling" the files on the provider. And especially, no way to move a few files from one drive to another, without uploading a "bunch" of data.