CloudDrive Nearly Unusable Recently (Google Drive)

dasani3x

Question

Hello all, first of all, I am a huge fan of the software and will be a paying customer on day one. However, I feel the need to point out how much the performance of my CloudDrive has slipped in the recent week or two. I am using Google Drive and it seems like every time I update to the newest beta update, I get great performance for 12-24 hours. 400 mb/s up and no issues downloading and streaming over Plex. After that, it becomes nearly unusable. This is on version 1.0.0.756:

mFuA2v7.png

I haven't had nearly that level of errors before, but now I find the drive unmounted after an hour or two worth of work, and data rarely actually uploads, usually 1.5 mb/s at a time. 

After updating to 1.0.0.757, I am back to better speed with no errors.

Z8HYJ3c.png

Is there anything I can be doing to have more consistent speeds and reliability?

8 answers to this question

Well, the newer builds shoudl be much more stable with Google Drive. 

However, we're having issues hitting our company's global API limit. 

The newer version changes how the error is handled (as a throttling request, which helps), and implements a new chunk tracking feature to significantly reduce the number of API calls. 

Once we have everyone using the newer builds, this should significantly help. 

Additionally, we plan on using Google's appeal process to increase the global rate limit. 

All of this should help with performance/speed/reliability. 

However, things like creating the drive with larger chunk and partial read sizes may increase the the overall speed of the drive. But these can only be changed when creating the drive. 

However, things like creating the drive with larger chunk and partial read sizes may increase the the overall speed of the drive. But these can only be changed when creating the drive. 

Is there a way to easily move content from my first drive to a new drive with increased chunk and partial read sizes?

I get good upload speeds (about 30-40MB/s), but I'm having trouble downloading data from the drive (only about 2-3MB/s), sometimes it slows down to less than 0.5MB/s.

Build number: 1.0.0.757

Is there a way to easily move content from my first drive to a new drive with increased chunk and partial read sizes?

I get good upload speeds (about 30-40MB/s), but I'm having trouble downloading data from the drive (only about 2-3MB/s), sometimes it slows down to less than 0.5MB/s.

I also have very poor download speeds. ~3 mbps, on a 250 mbps line which I normally have no issues maxing out.

It seems it is only doing 1 download thread at a time, even though my limit currently is set to 10.

Can you change this behaviour? My understanding what that it could do multiple threads simultaneously.

No.  

The chunk size is akin to the sector size on the disk. Without reformatting the disk, it's not really possible. The same is true here. 

Even if there *was*, it would require us to download and re-upload the data *anyways*. 

I also have very poor download speeds. ~3 mbps, on a 250 mbps line which I normally have no issues maxing out.

It seems it is only doing 1 download thread at a time, even though my limit currently is set to 10.

Can you change this behaviour? My understanding what that it could do multiple threads simultaneously.

Drive Options -> Performance -> I/O Performance. 

Increase the number of download threads.  This should increase the number of simultaneous connections that StableBit CloudDrive uses.  Don't set this too high or Google will aggressively throttle the connections, which will cause the same sort of issue you're already having. 

You can also check the Technical Details (Gear icon) to see the activate connections. 

If you're seeing a bunch of idled threads, try decreasing the number of threads. 

No.  

The chunk size is akin to the sector size on the disk. Without reformatting the disk, it's not really possible. The same is true here. 

Even if there *was*, it would require us to download and re-upload the data *anyways*. 

Drive Options -> Performance -> I/O Performance. 

Increase the number of download threads.  This should increase the number of simultaneous connections that StableBit CloudDrive uses.  Don't set this too high or Google will aggressively throttle the connections, which will cause the same sort of issue you're already having. 

You can also check the Technical Details (Gear icon) to see the activate connections. 

If you're seeing a bunch of idled threads, try decreasing the number of threads. 

Thanks, but I have been tinkering with the I/O Performance setting for a long time. No matter what I try it only does 1 read thread at a time.

I usually monitor my upload/download in the Technical Details, very helpful to get an understanding of the underlying processes.

When I upload it looks like it should (constantly writing according to my I/O Performance setting and then reading each chunk for verification).

But when I download it only ever shows 1 read thread, even though my setting currently is at 6 download threads.

Could it be some setting in Advanced Settings I need to change?

Thanks, but I have been tinkering with the I/O Performance setting for a long time. No matter what I try it only does 1 read thread at a time.

I usually monitor my upload/download in the Technical Details, very helpful to get an understanding of the underlying processes.

When I upload it looks like it should (constantly writing according to my I/O Performance setting and then reading each chunk for verification).

But when I download it only ever shows 1 read thread, even though my setting currently is at 6 download threads.

Could it be some setting in Advanced Settings I need to change?

After the initial prefetch, it will only grab a new chunk as you read a chunk - therefore you will most likely only see one thread after the initial prefetch always :)

After the initial prefetch, it will only grab a new chunk as you read a chunk - therefore you will most likely only see one thread after the initial prefetch always :)

I see.. But that means that the speeds I am seeing now, roughly 3-4 mbps, is what I should expect in download speed?

That's gonna take a long time to get the data back from the cloud then, seeing as I have more than 2 tb backed up already.

I see.. But that means that the speeds I am seeing now, roughly 3-4 mbps, is what I should expect in download speed?

That's gonna take a long time to get the data back from the cloud then, seeing as I have more than 2 tb backed up already.

If you are copying from the drive, you should be reading so fast that it kicks in with multiple threads. Are you on the latest version ? And did you try reboot and detach/reattaching?