• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Poor performance Google Drive (not rate limit)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Gbyrd

Gbyrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

I have not been able to get Google drive working well. The download is always limited to about 3-4 Mbps. Before it use to be much higher, seems like the more people using this app the performance takes a heavy hit because of it. Anyway to get it resolved?

• Ginoliggime, KiaraEvirm and Antoineki like this

#22 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:28 PM

I have not been able to get Google drive working well. The download is always limited to about 3-4 Mbps. Before it use to be much higher, seems like the more people using this app the performance takes a heavy hit because of it. Anyway to get it resolved?

The latest versions ( 1.0.0.770+ ) use a pool of API keys.  If you've installed that version (ideally the 1.0.0.777) build and have re-authorized the drive, it should be using a random key.  This should significantly reduce the "rate limit exceeded" issue, if not eliminate it entirely (a main cause of the performance issues). 

Additionally, try re-attaching the drive, and increase the "minimum download size". 

Otherwise, try creating a new driver and use larger chunk sizes, as well. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#23 Joel Kåberg

Joel Kåberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

The latest versions ( 1.0.0.770+ ) use a pool of API keys.  If you've installed that version (ideally the 1.0.0.777) build and have re-authorized the drive, it should be using a random key.  This should significantly reduce the "rate limit exceeded" issue, if not eliminate it entirely (a main cause of the performance issues). 

Additionally, try re-attaching the drive, and increase the "minimum download size". 

As you know I've already tried all this, and I'm on the very latest BETA build. The issue essentially boils down to the response time which increases over time, this really kills the performance of CD.

#24 wid_sbdp

wid_sbdp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:40 AM

I don't think it's CD specifically, I think it's the interaction with ACD and Google. I made a new Azure account (with the free $200 in credit you get when you make one) and built a storage instance, added that to CD and uploaded some stuff. I was getting very fast 700mbit transfers to it. I think ACD and GCD are just not "as open" as the respective enterprise services are in terms of speed and capability (number of connections, etc). I mean it would make sense to limit those on Amazon's and Google's side as they are cheaper alternatives to paying for an enterprise-level tier.

Which, is fine by me. Stability + 150mbit uploads to ACD for $5/mo beats out Stability + 700mbit uploads for $200-300+ (and into the thousands and tens of thousands if you're crazy and have 200TB on your drive).

#25 Gbyrd

Gbyrd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:54 AM

After reattaching it works perfectly again. I didn't change the minimum download size however its still set to off.  After trying it again it seems to be downloading at a lower 15 mbps, ive seen it reach up to 50mbps. My line is 1gbps down. After the prefetch it works well, but the initial part is a bit tough.

#26 raidz

raidz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

This issue is pretty much making cd unusable after a few hours for me at this point. Restarting every few hours is a bad solution.

Any progress being made towards a fix on this Christopher?

#27 Joel Kåberg

Joel Kåberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:01 AM

I've tried my setup again, this time with ACD which seems to upload at full speed (now 24h later and still uploading at full speed).

Perhaps CD is doing to many requests, which then forces Google Drive to add an delay to each request?

I'd like to note that rclone does not have this issue (I've already uploaded +/- 20TB using rclone to Google Drive and the avarage speed of that upload was 290mbps, which is my max upload).

#28 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:19 AM

I've tried my setup again, this time with ACD which seems to upload at full speed (now 24h later and still uploading at full speed).

Perhaps CD is doing to many requests, which then forces Google Drive to add an delay to each request?

I'd like to note that rclone does not have this issue (I've already uploaded +/- 20TB using rclone to Google Drive and the avarage speed of that upload was 290mbps, which is my max upload).

Is rclone multithreaded, at all? Or just a single thread? 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#29 thnz

thnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:39 AM

If you mean transfer threads, rclone transfers 4 files at a time in parallel by default.

#30 Joel Kåberg

Joel Kåberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:41 AM

Yes, rclone does a lot of parallelization. Not just uploads, but it checks files remotely, localy etc. while uploading/downloading

#31 chcguy88

chcguy88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:22 AM

I have noticed the same issue. I used to jump between 50mbps-150mbps (150/150 is my connection). Now I am consistently under 50mbps. It occasionally jumps to 70 but jumps right back down. It is the latest beta 777 + I have reauthorized several times. This is after uploading 100 gbs of data. After an hour it slows to 20mbps max. This is with no other things running on my network. 

#32 vend

vend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:23 PM

On .777 I continue to have numerous issues as mentioned by many before me. Drive disconnects, extremely poor speed, etc... The frustrating thing is that ACD works great in terms of reliability and speed (I have a gigabit up/down connection). I originally started out on ACD but migrated to Google Drive at the numerous recommendations made by Christopher but it seems that Google Drive is not all that it has billed out to be. And the most frustrating thing is that Google Drive is such a subpar experience that it is nearly impossible to get the data transferred off of it to put on to ACD.  :wacko:

#33 Alfonso

Alfonso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:23 AM

Hi, I've the same problem. Before update 726 I was capable of upload/download with 5 threads and 30/40 mbit/s in two ways. Now, after two months of random errors I obtain that:

- 1 thread upload, 2 thread download: upload start after 20 seconds, band limited to 3-4 mbps, chunk trasfered in 20 seconds of initial delay + 10-20 seconds of transfer, after start upload verification and it take the same time

- 2 thread upload, 3 thread download: upload start after 40 seconds, band limited to 2-3 mbps per thread, chunks trasfered in 40 seconds of intial delay + 10-20 seconds of transfer, after start upload verification and it take the same time, moreover the verification takes place with the same problems...

Increasing the number of threads increases the initial delay and bandwidth usage decreases.

Unfortunately the application now is very very unusable with google drive

• tanjer45 likes this

#34 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

For those with poor performance: 

http://wiki.covecube...e_Drive_Tracing

And 

http://wiki.covecube...dDrive_Web_Logs

And open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contactwith the logs gathered.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#35 Alfonso

Alfonso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

With the latest version (1.0.0.782) the problem seems resolved!

Great job

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#36 vend

vend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:43 PM

With the latest version (1.0.0.782) the problem seems resolved!

Great job

Just wanted to jump in and say that I am having much much much better performance on .782 as well. Superb job. Thank you!

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users