Poor performance Google Drive (not rate limit)

Joel Kåberg

Question

I'm seeing poor upload performance with GD, it goes somewhere between 0 to 150 mbps (on average 50-70mbps) but very rarely above that.

Here's my settings https://goo.gl/iXdlWc | https://goo.gl/H5T8G7

An regular Speedtest https://goo.gl/iRjC8o

Looking over the logs I can't see any Rate limit or similar, just a bunch of Write chunk

14:48:50.5: Information: 0 : [GoogleDriveIoProvider:39] [W] Writing chunk 37,743.

14:48:51.1: Information: 0 : [GoogleDriveIoProvider:29] [W] Writing chunk 37,744.
14:48:51.9: Information: 0 : [GoogleDriveIoProvider:64] [W] Writing chunk 37,745.
14:48:53.3: Information: 0 : [GoogleDriveIoProvider:14] [W] Writing chunk 37,746.
14:48:54.8: Information: 0 : [GoogleDriveIoProvider:45] [W] Writing chunk 37,747.
14:48:57.1: Information: 0 : [GoogleDriveIoProvider:41] [W] Writing chunk 37,748.

My workflow

Ubuntu server with samba (main storage for now)->1gbit lan->Windows 10 PC with clouddrive->google drive

So I take it this is something related to my ISP or something between me and Google?

I'm investigateing now if my data gets uploaded to EU or US datacenters (I'm located in the EU) Uploaded to EU/Amsterdam

For comparision I can saturate my bandwith with the same Google Drive using rlcone, so this must be a CloudDrive issue.

One thing that I've noticed is when I pause the transfer to the CloudDrive (and Clouddrive just sits uploading) I'm seeing a lot better bandwith usage (nearly 100%). I've now tried several (SSD) disk on different PC but they all suffer the same fate.

So I think I got this down to IO issues, it seems better without encryption but I'd love haveing that. Task manager gives a pretty good hint as to the disk beeing excessevly used (I'm assuming due to the cache in CloudDrive). Perhaps this need some attention, also an RAM option would be nice here (for us with plenty of it). I tried creating a RAMdrive to see if that helped (use as a cache drive) but CloudDrive won't recognize it

I've tried my setup again, this time with ACD which seems to upload at full speed (now 24h later and still uploading at full speed).

Perhaps CD is doing to many requests, which then forces Google Drive to add an delay to each request?

I'd like to note that rclone does not have this issue (I've already uploaded +/- 20TB using rclone to Google Drive and the avarage speed of that upload was 290mbps, which is my max upload).

I've tried my setup again, this time with ACD which seems to upload at full speed (now 24h later and still uploading at full speed).

Perhaps CD is doing to many requests, which then forces Google Drive to add an delay to each request?

I'd like to note that rclone does not have this issue (I've already uploaded +/- 20TB using rclone to Google Drive and the avarage speed of that upload was 290mbps, which is my max upload).

Is rclone multithreaded, at all? Or just a single thread? 

I have noticed the same issue. I used to jump between 50mbps-150mbps (150/150 is my connection). Now I am consistently under 50mbps. It occasionally jumps to 70 but jumps right back down. It is the latest beta 777 + I have reauthorized several times. This is after uploading 100 gbs of data. After an hour it slows to 20mbps max. This is with no other things running on my network. 

On .777 I continue to have numerous issues as mentioned by many before me. Drive disconnects, extremely poor speed, etc... The frustrating thing is that ACD works great in terms of reliability and speed (I have a gigabit up/down connection). I originally started out on ACD but migrated to Google Drive at the numerous recommendations made by Christopher but it seems that Google Drive is not all that it has billed out to be. And the most frustrating thing is that Google Drive is such a subpar experience that it is nearly impossible to get the data transferred off of it to put on to ACD.  :wacko:

Hi, I've the same problem. Before update 726 I was capable of upload/download with 5 threads and 30/40 mbit/s in two ways. Now, after two months of random errors I obtain that:

- 1 thread upload, 2 thread download: upload start after 20 seconds, band limited to 3-4 mbps, chunk trasfered in 20 seconds of initial delay + 10-20 seconds of transfer, after start upload verification and it take the same time

- 2 thread upload, 3 thread download: upload start after 40 seconds, band limited to 2-3 mbps per thread, chunks trasfered in 40 seconds of intial delay + 10-20 seconds of transfer, after start upload verification and it take the same time, moreover the verification takes place with the same problems...

Increasing the number of threads increases the initial delay and bandwidth usage decreases.

Unfortunately the application now is very very unusable with google drive