Feature Request - Caching?

thepregnantgod

Question

Drashna, I've been using your products happily since switching from Drive Bender about 2 years ago.

I have 30 drives in a single pool (about 100TB).

Most of us who are using this product likely have Green drives (5400rpm) instead of the faster ones.

And, I know that I can set an SSD up to speed up writing to my pool (files moved to the pool are written on the SSD then later balanced out to the pool).

But...when it comes to reading stuff it's not as fast as I'd like.  First, it's likely the drive speed.  Second, the drives likely spin down and go to sleep.

I'm not a programmer but is there a way to (much like Windows Superfetch) identify those directories that are often accessed and cache them in some fashion that would expedite read access?  And...I've changed my power settings in my device manager for each drive to ensure they don't power down/spin down but inevitably it seems as if I'm waking a drive up just to get data.

1 answer to this question

Well, for the duplicated stuff, the Read caching may help.  

But otherwise, we do leverage NTFS' caching.  If the file has been accessed, the info is likely in memory.  

As for the drives themselves, check the "Disk Control" Option in StableBit Scanner (per drive), disable the APM option and hit "set".  That should disable the drive's power management (eg idling) features and may help out here. 

As for moving files around based on access, it's something we've discussed internally actually.  There isn't a good way to do this right now. It would take a significant redesign, or an external component to handle this more efficiently.

But it is definitely something that's been on our mind (and it's been requested in the past)