folder corrupt and unreadable

nightwing

Question

18 answers to this question

After a reboot, I'm also getting this, but on my entire drive.

Looking at the disk in Disk Management, it's showing my disk as RAW.

It's a ReFS partition, so how do I go about sorting this out? (Can't run CHKDSK on ReFS)

This is actually the 2nd time that this has happened to me, the first time I just recreated the disk and uploaded all the data.

But now that it has happened to me again, I'm starting to be wary about using the product even...

Any tips for this corruption? Can it be fixed without having to recreate the disk?

yea i ran it but i get 'windows cannot repair this' when i run it.

hm actually it reports there is insufficient space to recover lost data. I'm not sure how to get around this.. my cloud drive is much larger than my pc's hard drive 

Does it give a specific issue? 

After a reboot, I'm also getting this, but on my entire drive.

Looking at the disk in Disk Management, it's showing my disk as RAW.

It's a ReFS partition, so how do I go about sorting this out? (Can't run CHKDSK on ReFS)

This is actually the 2nd time that this has happened to me, the first time I just recreated the disk and uploaded all the data.

But now that it has happened to me again, I'm starting to be wary about using the product even...

Any tips for this corruption? Can it be fixed without having to recreate the disk?

Data recovery.  

There are a few power shell commands that may work.  "repair-volume", "repair-fileintegrity", but I think that's it. 

Skipping further messages about recovering orphans.
Insufficient disk space to recover lost data.
  360 unindexed files scanned.
  360 unindexed files recovered to original directory.
  0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. 

running chkdsk /f on my cloud drive volume.

Im about 3 weeks into Cloud Drive and encountering the same problem. 

File corruption detected but unable to run chkdsk as it reports the insufficient space problem.

How exactly do i use the powershell commands? Are there any other options?

This is getting depressing. I suspect it's possible many other users have similar file corruption problems but just unaware of it yet?

As long as the drive is mounted, "just like normal", basically.  Just target the clouddrive disk in the software and run it.

Just note that this will be IO and bandwidth intensive. 

Any recommended data recovery software?

I can report, I was just hit with this bug or whatever this is. I detached the disk and rebooted my pc and when i remounted my drive hundreds of files were corrupted. I have a 256TB cstablebit cloud drive, and have lost terabytes of data. I tried all the solutions suggested above to no effect. Can you recommend a specific third party data recovery software?

I'm very sorry to hear that.

For data recovery, TestDisk and PhotoRec are free utilities that will do this, but they're not "graphical".

And there are plenty of other products that can do this.

http://alternativeto.net/software/testdisk/

that said, if you end up recreating the disk, I would recommend keeping to less 50TB per volume (you can have multiple volumes/partitions on the CloudDrive disk), or using ReFS rather than NTFS. 

Yes, it is an actual "fix".

the problem appears to be VSS related.  Namely, it starts having issues for drives larger than 64TB.  And the problem is made worse by the fact that CHKDSK leverages VSS to take a snapshot of the disk, and then checks that.  So if the snapshot fails in any way, it will cause problems for CHKDSK.  Which really appears to be the issue.

Setting it to 50TB will circumvent the issue, and give it a bit of buffer space, as well.   

And you can still use the 100TB drive. Just partition it (manually) into two 50TB volumes. 

Glad I found out about this before something nasty happened. Do you think a warning message should be shown when creating anything over 50TB? I think I did this right.

~ Went into disk management, shrink Google Drive to 50TB / 52428800MB. I'll just leave the other 50TB unallocated for now.

I'm very sorry to hear that.

For data recovery, TestDisk and PhotoRec are free utilities that will do this, but they're not "graphical".

And there are plenty of other products that can do this.

http://alternativeto.net/software/testdisk/

that said, if you end up recreating the disk, I would recommend keeping to less 50TB per volume (you can have multiple volumes/partitions on the CloudDrive disk), or using ReFS rather than NTFS. 

Thanks for the advice. My drive is currently 250TB as previously mentioned, but at present only 14.9actuallyutally in use. Can I safely resize it down to 50TB without data lost? 

Glad I found out about this before something nasty happened. Do you think a warning message should be shown when creating anything over 50TB? I think I did this right.

~ Went into disk management, shrink Google Drive to 50TB / 52428800MB. I'll just leave the other 50TB unallocated for now.

I believe that we plan on adding a message, if Alex (the Developer) hasn't already.

Thanks for the advice. My drive is currently 250TB as previously mentioned, but at present only 14.9actuallyutally in use. Can I safely resize it down to 50TB without data lost? 

You should be able to use the "Shrink volume" option in Disk Management (run "diskmgmt.msc").   And yeah, that should shrink the volume, safely.

After that, you can then create multiple +50TB partitions on the drive, and uses these separately.