Recreating Drivepool After Drive failure

pofo14

Question

So here is my scenario.

I have a drivepool setup with 5 data drives pooled together. My intention was to not use the scanner / drivepool evacuation feature, as I run snapraid daily.

But, I must not have turned that setting off, so when scanner detected the drive failure it evacuated the drive and copied the files to the other drives available.

Snapraid never ran successfully after this happened.

When I got a new drive and added it to the PC, not knowing what drivepool copied successfully I ran a snapraid fix command and recovered all the files from the failed drive.

Now, there are obviously duplicate files across the 5 data drives.

Since my setup was in a state of flux, I decided to do fresh install, upgrade to Windows 10, and run this setup on a dedicated PC rather than in a VM as before.

My question is how will drivepool behave when I re-setup the new pool? Will it detect duplicate files and keep only one copy? Or is de-duping them something I need to take care of manually?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

1 answer to this question

But, I must not have turned that setting off, so when scanner detected the drive failure it evacuated the drive and copied the files to the other drives available.

Uncheck the "StableBit Scanner" balancer in the balancer options. That should make sure that it's not used, at all. 

My question is how will drivepool behave when I re-setup the new pool? Will it detect duplicate files and keep only one copy? Or is de-duping them something I need to take care of manually?

When you connect the drives and install the software, it will immediately see the pooled disks, and repool them. 

It will then measure the pool, and then run a duplication pass. It will unduplicated data as need (eg, if there are too many copies), or duplicate data (if there are not enough copies). 

If you're still using SnapRAID, it may break the config for the parity, as it may end up moving a bunch of data around again.