Missing Disk Handling

beefjerky

Question

If a disk goes missing while the computer is running, Drivepool handles this as expected. It pops up a notification and e-mails me, and I can take action. However, I've noticed its handling of a disk that's missing upon bootup is less than optimal. When the UI is started, it simply says that the service is not started, though the service is actually running. What's on the disks still available also seems to be readable. And, of course, no notification of any sort, which is a problem on a headless server.

I am running v2.2.0.651 BETA. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future version.

I'd also like to make a request for both Drivepool and Scanner. I'd like an option for a when a notification of a drive problem or missing disk appears, a sound can be made through the motherboard speaker. This could be helpful for headless installations where someone other than me may be using it or I may not have my phone by me.

4 answers to this question

Missing disks during boot can be tricky.  In some cases, it may be a bit before the system recognizes the disk.  

As for the service showing as "not started", this is because the sUI is not able to communicate with the service properly.  If you have a lot of disks, this can be normal, as the service is running it's initialization routine.

Additionally, there is an option to notify by email, in the case of missing disks. This is very handy for headless systems. 

However, notifications are sent by the service. So until that's "up and running", a notification won't be sent anyways. 

Missing disks during boot can be tricky.  In some cases, it may be a bit before the system recognizes the disk.  

As for the service showing as "not started", this is because the sUI is not able to communicate with the service properly.  If you have a lot of disks, this can be normal, as the service is running it's initialization routine.

Additionally, there is an option to notify by email, in the case of missing disks. This is very handy for headless systems. 

However, notifications are sent by the service. So until that's "up and running", a notification won't be sent anyways. 

During a normal boot, the Drivepool UI is available as soon as the Windows UI is up and ready. However, with the disk missing upon bootup, the Drivepool UI will not properly come up, even after waiting around 20 mins. However, the pool (at least what's on the remaining disks) is readable once Windows is up and ready, just like when all the disks there. I have 6 disks in the pool.

Would it help for me to upload a log after a boot with a missing disk so we can see what is going on? If a disk is bad and unavailable upon boot, this is really something I need to be notified of, and as of now, this isn't working.

Ah, okay. I think I may have misunderstood the issue them.

Though, *why* is the disk missing? 

If this is an intermittent issue, then it may be that the missing disk is causing issues for the system in general. 

When this happens, try opening Disk Management.   Does this take a long time to enumerate disks, or otherwise act unstable? 

If so, then the issue is with the "Virtual Disk System" This is what "we" connect to, as well as Disk Management, DiskPart and other disk utilities.   

if that is having issues, it could cause issues with the StableBit DrivePool Service. 

In this case, if you can capture "boot logs" in StableBit DrivePool, that would help.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Boot_Time_Log_Collection

(note, you'll basically have to enable this each time the system reboots until the issue occurs)

Also, if you could export/save the logs from the Event Viewer? (run "eventvwr.msc", open the "Windows Logs" section, and save the "System" section, as an evtx file)

Also, since you mention StableBit Scanner, I'm assuming that no disks are showing issues? SMART data issue or scan issues? 

Ah, okay. I think I may have misunderstood the issue them.

Though, *why* is the disk missing? 

If this is an intermittent issue, then it may be that the missing disk is causing issues for the system in general. 

When this happens, try opening Disk Management.   Does this take a long time to enumerate disks, or otherwise act unstable? 

If so, then the issue is with the "Virtual Disk System" This is what "we" connect to, as well as Disk Management, DiskPart and other disk utilities.   

if that is having issues, it could cause issues with the StableBit DrivePool Service. 

In this case, if you can capture "boot logs" in StableBit DrivePool, that would help.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Boot_Time_Log_Collection

(note, you'll basically have to enable this each time the system reboots until the issue occurs)

Also, if you could export/save the logs from the Event Viewer? (run "eventvwr.msc", open the "Windows Logs" section, and save the "System" section, as an evtx file)

Also, since you mention StableBit Scanner, I'm assuming that no disks are showing issues? SMART data issue or scan issues? 

Sorry for not being clearer. This was actually a test run to see how things would behave with missing disk(s). I'm in the process of setting up another NAS for backups and file sharing with friends/family, so I needed to see how Drivepool would handle these kinds of things.

Disk Management comes up and responds fine when disks are removed, whether it happens while the system is running, or prior to boot.

There are no errors from either Drivepool or from Windows volume manager/virtual disk manager when a disk is missing during bootup. I can still try to upload the system event logs you think if it would help.

Also, this is on two different Windows 2008 R2 servers; my primary one, and the new backup NAS I'm setting up.

Thanks for the help!