• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Experiences with Seagate 8TB Archive SMR?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nerva

Nerva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Has anyone tried using Seagate 8TB Archive drives in their Drivepool setup?

I have a home server with about 20TB of storage -- 90% of it is used for video (mostly my blu-ray collection) and the remainder is used for music and backups of computers in the house -- currently only a small amount of important stuff is redundant.   I also use a couple old 1TB drives just for PVR that are in a separate pool.   I'd like to add some larger drives (probably 8TB) so that I can make the entire thing fully redundant.

I've been reading this review of the Seagate 8TB Archive drive that uses SMR:

http://www.storagere..._hdd_review_8tb

The upshot is that read performance is excellent (probably 10x or 100x my bandwidth needs for watching movies), but due to the SMR technology the write performance drops from excellent to horrible if sustained writes are larger than 20GB.   Basically it has 20GB of space it can write to quickly, and then it slowly moves that to the SMR portion of the drive -- so if you saturate the cache, it slows to a crawl.   The article explains that this is horrible for a RAID array when it comes time to rebuild parity, but it is considered acceptable for non-RAID applications.

So, I'm thinking that this drive should work acceptably with Drivepool, since the write operations are just to fill the drive in the first place and then to add new blu-ray files from time to time.   The good thing about the drive is it has very low power consumption and price per TB, so it would seem to be a good choice for my home server application.

#2 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:33 PM

Maybe. :)

http://community.cov...-drives-or-not/

Personally, I'm using a couple of smallish SSDs (120GB) for the SSD Optimizer balancer plugin, and a bunch of the SMR drives. :)

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#3 jmone

jmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

I have a bunch of the 8TB Seagates in 2 x 40TB Pools that hold my BD Rips - Works great (I have 4TB Hitachi as my "landing drives").

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#4 CroneNot

CroneNot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:17 PM

I myself have 4 of the 8tb seagate drives - I too had a lot of concern about the type of drive and how it works,  with the  SMR format (lack of better word). From what I have found all over the net is - As long it is mainly used to access the files, all  should be ok. you will have slow write speed. seems to me, the read speed is ok.   BUT I was warned not to use it like a desktop drive. i.e. read and write all the time . that's all the advice I could find.

So far I haven't had any problems and i've had the drive for 11 months (Not long).

#5 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:28 PM

I myself have 4 of the 8tb seagate drives - I too had a lot of concern about the type of drive and how it works,  with the  SMR format (lack of better word). From what I have found all over the net is - As long it is mainly used to access the files, all  should be ok. you will have slow write speed. seems to me, the read speed is ok.   BUT I was warned not to use it like a desktop drive. i.e. read and write all the time . that's all the advice I could find.

So far I haven't had any problems and i've had the drive for 11 months (Not long).

Yeah, it's a "WORM" type drive (Write Once, Read Many). 

As for reads, I have actually seen 190MB/s read from it.  I do use 64kb cluster size ("unit allocation size" when formatting the drive), as this helps with getting better speeds.   

That said, having 14 of these drives, and many of them for more than a year, and I finally had one fail.  Seagate seems to only have recertified drives, though. Which is disappointing. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users