Strange issues

psykix

Question

I have just migrated from a VMware VM to a physical install on my Gen8, and in the process switched from RAID to AHCI.

I'm getting strange issues with Plex clients not playing files and other odd goings on which may or may not be DrivePool related.

Also, I don't remember seeing multiple drives in disk manager previously, and I have some strange errors in the event logs.

One of the drives in disk manager (The drivepool drive) is also a strange size?

Hopefully these screen shots can shed some light?

GP0E8n2.png

IfIDJ8d.png

hAx3Ofz.png

13 answers to this question

Well, the images look fine.   

The DrivePool disk does show up in the Disk Manager, and it is supposed to show up this way (the 2048GB size in the bottom half is normal). 

As for the errors, these are normal.  The Disk 5 looks to be the StableBit DrivePool disk, and something is trying to query a specific block of data on the drive.  Since there are no actual blocks of data, it *should* error out like this. 

As for the Plex stuff, have you looked at it's logs, or posted about that there? 

(you can upload them to us, if you'd like and I can take a look). 

Otherwise, are you using the 'Network IO Boost" option on the pool? (Pool Options -> Performance) 

It should be off by default, and leave it that way. 

Also, try disabling "read striping" and see if that helps. 

And this is on bare metal, right? 

If so, which controller are you using on your HP MicroServer Gen8? (I'm guessing)

Ok.. it's a little baffling.

I have a share called Multimedia. Under that there are folders - Movies, Music, Restricted Movies and TV Shows.

TV Shows play fine on every device I have tried. So do Restricted Movies, which only contains 3 movies. The Movies folder is huge (circa 7TB) - nothing plays on Shield TV or Amazon Fire TV - however they all play fine in the Plex web interface on my PC.

I did look at the logs - but I'm not overly sure what I am looking for. It did appear that it was struggling to choose an audio track and subtitle but I may be misunderstanding it.

I can send you the logs, but don't really want to post them on here.

Network IO Boost is off. Read striping shouldn't matter I don't think, as I'm not using any duplication.

It is indeed a bare metal install. And it is a Microserver Gen8 :-) I didn't install any special drivers, just the ones that Windows 10 installed itself.

It's really confusing me!

So it only has issues on the two devices, but not the web interface? 

That's ... really odd. 

Also, is Plex being configured to use a network share, or a direct file path? 

This may make a difference. 

As for the logs, use this link:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.X_Submit_Files

Only Alex and I have access to the files uploaded there. 

Well...

In amongst all this, I replaced my pfSense VM with a Draytek Router. And a Draytek AP to replace my D-Link DAP2695.

I think this may have been a really bad decision...

So.. I'm gonna go back to VMware (I kept the config on the microSD) - just in the process of recreating the VMs. pfSense is done and working. Now onto Windows 10!

I'll also need my licenses for DrivePool and Scanner deactivating again!

Sorry!

Well, sorry to hear about the router issues. :( 

Personally, I use Sophos UTM, and a Sophos AP (AP55C, I think, Wireless AC).  

License taken care of. 

Also, the reason I asked about the UNC, is that there is some caching that occurs that can cause weird issues (especially with enumeration).  If you're using the pool directly, you should be okay. 

The only thing I can think of is maybe that the disks are being woken up and take too long to respond properly.  But you said that the web interface worked fine.... 

If the issue continues on the "new" install, let me know (and let me know what version you're using, which OS)

Well.. this is turning into a bit of a palaver!

I can't really stick with VMware as I have recently got IPTV and the IGMP multicast is flooding my network. I think only Enterprise Plus ESXi license supports IGMP snooping. So - I've ordered a Mikrotik Router to replace the Draytek!

I'm just about to do another bare metal Windows 10 install and see how the DrivePool performs - I really need to get it sorted on bare metal though I guess. It definitely should work properly, so maybe just a driver issue.