• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

StableBit DrivePool - Controlling Folder Placement

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Umfriend

Umfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

That almost sounds like a (RDBMS) view on two tables through a UNION: seperate objects merged only in presentation.

Anyway, I wonder whether the folder placement parameters would be stored on each disk. The reason I am asking is that I am wondering what would happen if such a " partitioned"(?) pool were to be migrated to another machine, would/could DP then start balancing and mess things up (in the case where the disks are not equally full).?

#42 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Umfriend,

That is a very good question. I will make sure to bring that question to Alex.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#43 Tyson

Tyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

I am a new user to DrivePool (great product by the way!) and I just wanted to add that I would also be very interested in this feature. Is there any (rough) timeline for when this feature might be delivered?

I was actually hoping to implement something similar to this myself using the plugin system, but I have since realised that the plugins are only for balancing and can't control the real-time file placement (please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

#44 daveyboy37

daveyboy37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

I am a new user to DrivePool (great product by the way!) and I just wanted to add that I would also be very interested in this feature. Is there any (rough) timeline for when this feature might be delivered?

I was actually hoping to implement something similar to this myself using the plugin system, but I have since realised that the plugins are only for balancing and can't control the real-time file placement (please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Hopefully it may be in the next update  (and soon ...as we seem to have been at 2.1.0.432 for a very very long time)   ;).

I should stress that the above comment is purely wishful thinking rather than any sort of insider knowledge. 

#45 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

There are a lot of internal builds more recent than build 432 (we are up to 483), but they haven't been pushed out as they are mostly bug fixes that haven't been thoroughly tested yet. (well, aside from by me, because I live on the bleeding edge!).

Alex is working on getting these updated versions pushed out because it has been a long time. 

As for this balancer/feature, Alex is hard at work trying to get this finished. But bugs have a priority. And we've hit some serious road bumps (bugs) which have slowed development down more than we would have liked.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#46 mvd

mvd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

Another vote, this would be an amazing feature.  Wish I'd seen this thread sooner, I've been waiting and waiting for a new beta - checking every few days for months now in hopes of something and finally decided to check the forum and see if development was still going on.

Rule based file placement would be a killer feature, taking the current "ordered file placement" abilities of the current plugin to the next step in granularity. I just hate related files to get scattered all over the place.  Ordered file placement has cut down on that problem significantly since it fills up a disk at a time, but its not perfect obviously and I end up doing way more manual file relocating than I'd like to.

• Alex likes this

#47 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 7,287 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

Alex is definitely working on adding this feature.

A smart person would look at the change log for the internal betas:

http://dl.covecube.c...oad/changes.txt

(note, internal beta, so it's not well tested at all, and may not work right)

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#48 Alex

Alex

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • 242 posts
  • LocationNew York, USA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Well guys this is now fully implemented, and very much untested :)

Here's the change log for this feature: https://stablebit.co...ueAnalysis/2165

You can download the latest internal (untested) BETA here: http://dl.covecube.c...s/beta/download

Latest BETA is 2.1.0.491 as of this writing.

I'll have much more to say on how it all works in a future blog post, once I test it a bit more thoroughly and release a public BETA up on stablebit.com. But you can give it a whirl today if you're feeling adventurous.

#49 Alex

Alex

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • 242 posts
  • LocationNew York, USA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

Hopefully it may be in the next update  (and soon ...as we seem to have been at 2.1.0.432 for a very very long time)   ;).

I should stress that the above comment is purely wishful thinking rather than any sort of insider knowledge. 

The main reason why we're stuck at 432 is because I was trying to fix all of the important bugs that were reported as of the last release. We have a brand new system for keeping track of reported issues, because frankly I got overwhelmed with the feedback from the last release. Since than I've been going through the bugs and have been trying to meticulously identify each issue and address it. Not that there are show-stopping bugs in 2.0.0.420, but I want the 2.1.X version to be an improvement in stability as well as add something significantly new.

There have been a whole lot of fixes since 432 (http://dl.covecube.c...oad/changes.txt)

The next public BETA is my priority now that per-folder (and pattern based) balancing is implemented. Hopefully it won't take more than a few weeks to get everything tested and published.

I'm also actively working on "Product 3" which will integrate very nicely with StableBit DrivePool and will add significant value to it. So there are some amazing things in the works for the future.

Thank you for your continued support.

#50 daveyboy37

daveyboy37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

The main reason why we're stuck at 432 is because I was trying to fix all of the important bugs that were reported as of the last release. We have a brand new system for keeping track of reported issues, because frankly I got overwhelmed with the feedback from the last release. Since than I've been going through the bugs and have been trying to meticulously identify each issue and address it. Not that there are show-stopping bugs in 2.0.0.420, but I want the 2.1.X version to be an improvement in stability as well as add something significantly new.

There have been a whole lot of fixes since 432 (http://dl.covecube.c...oad/changes.txt)

The next public BETA is my priority now that per-folder (and pattern based) balancing is implemented. Hopefully it won't take more than a few weeks to get everything tested and published.

I'm also actively working on "Product 3" which will integrate very nicely with StableBit DrivePool and will add significant value to it. So there are some amazing things in the works for the future.

Thank you for your continued support.

Thank you to both yourself and Drashna for the explanation. I guess an end user with a very stable system doesnt see all the bugs that need fixing in the background. :P

Will test out the new release as soon as i get home from work.

Oh and "product 3" !!!   Awesome news! :)

• Alex likes this

#51 lee1978

lee1978

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

Is there any chance any of these upgrades are going to filter to whs11 or is that version a dead product.
Lee

#52 Alex

Alex

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • 242 posts
  • LocationNew York, USA

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Is there any chance any of these upgrades are going to filter to whs11 or is that version a dead product.
Lee

You must mean StableBit DrivePool 1.X, no these features will not be added to 1.X however 2.X does run on WHS 2011.

I am still actively making fixes to 1.X as you can see here: http://dl.covecube.c...oad/Changes.txt

But adding major features to both versions is just not practical.

#53 daveyboy37

daveyboy37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

Ok so I have just started expirimenting with this and its got me wondering!

If for example a folder on the pool is set to duplicate (In my case all my music files.) and I set my music to wholy reside on "mount point 1" (ie uncheck the boxes for all the other drives) will it still duplicate to another single drive?

Also having selected some actions to limit placement the Dashboard shows icons on the very far right against each drive in the disks section. 

Mousing over it says "File placement balancing rules need to be applied." So have I missed a step somewhere that is stopping the actions from taking place?

#54 Alex

Alex

Lead Programmer

• Administrators
  • 242 posts
  • LocationNew York, USA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

Ok so I have just started expirimenting with this and its got me wondering!

If for example a folder on the pool is set to duplicate (In my case all my music files.) and I set my music to wholy reside on "mount point 1" (ie uncheck the boxes for all the other drives) will it still duplicate to another single drive?

Also having selected some actions to limit placement the Dashboard shows icons on the very far right against each drive in the disks section. 

Mousing over it says "File placement balancing rules need to be applied." So have I missed a step somewhere that is stopping the actions from taking place?

• Yes, folder duplication fundamentally overrides balancing rules. StableBit DrivePool's architecture demands it. In your example, enabling folder duplication will try to respect file placement rules, but ultimately if the rules have to be broken it will break them in order to duplicate your files. This was one of the many changes necessary to implement file placement. The background duplication module has to be aware of file placement rules and has to try to follow them.
  • The little file icon simply represents that a full file pattern balancing pass needs to take place on those drives as a result of your balancing rule changes. This is a completely new balancing algorithm and is only run once after altering file placement rules. I'm going to be posing a detailed blog post on all of this in the next few days (well, it's already written actually, just working on testing the release). I've also started a new topic in this forum explaining a bit about how this all works.

Expect a new public BETA in the next few days and a comprehensive blog post about the new file placement rules. We are at build 502 as of today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users