StableBit DrivePool - Controlling Folder Placement

Alex

Is there any chance any of these upgrades are going to filter to whs11 or is that version a dead product.

Lee

You must mean StableBit DrivePool 1.X, no these features will not be added to 1.X however 2.X does run on WHS 2011.

I am still actively making fixes to 1.X as you can see here: http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePool/beta/download/Changes.txt

But adding major features to both versions is just not practical.

Ok so I have just started expirimenting with this and its got me wondering!

If for example a folder on the pool is set to duplicate (In my case all my music files.) and I set my music to wholy reside on "mount point 1" (ie uncheck the boxes for all the other drives) will it still duplicate to another single drive?

Also having selected some actions to limit placement the Dashboard shows icons on the very far right against each drive in the disks section. 

Mousing over it says "File placement balancing rules need to be applied." So have I missed a step somewhere that is stopping the actions from taking place?

Ok so I have just started expirimenting with this and its got me wondering!

If for example a folder on the pool is set to duplicate (In my case all my music files.) and I set my music to wholy reside on "mount point 1" (ie uncheck the boxes for all the other drives) will it still duplicate to another single drive?

Also having selected some actions to limit placement the Dashboard shows icons on the very far right against each drive in the disks section. 

Mousing over it says "File placement balancing rules need to be applied." So have I missed a step somewhere that is stopping the actions from taking place?

• Yes, folder duplication fundamentally overrides balancing rules. StableBit DrivePool's architecture demands it. In your example, enabling folder duplication will try to respect file placement rules, but ultimately if the rules have to be broken it will break them in order to duplicate your files. This was one of the many changes necessary to implement file placement. The background duplication module has to be aware of file placement rules and has to try to follow them.
  • The little file icon simply represents that a full file pattern balancing pass needs to take place on those drives as a result of your balancing rule changes. This is a completely new balancing algorithm and is only run once after altering file placement rules. I'm going to be posing a detailed blog post on all of this in the next few days (well, it's already written actually, just working on testing the release). I've also started a new topic in this forum explaining a bit about how this all works.

Expect a new public BETA in the next few days and a comprehensive blog post about the new file placement rules. We are at build 502 as of today.