Two WD My Book 1230s Have 214 Bad Sectors in Same Location

Wonko

I have just used Scanner on two new WD My Book 1230 USB external hard drives (first was exchanged for the second). The current beta of scanner cannot read SMART data from either of them, even with NoWin and Unsafe checked, but bitflock.com can.

Even stranger, Scanner reports each has exactly 214 unreadable sectors shortly after it begins scanning them, in the same location on the block display, on two different PCs with Scanner licenses. Is this real, or is Scanner somehow mistaken?

I am checking the second drive now with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic Extended Test to see what it says. No point in exchanging again if the bad sectors are a phantom problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Known issue, and a very weird one... Basically, it's returning some funky data and it has to be handled specially to work right. 

The 3109 and up builds do address this issue specifically, but here are the links: 

Install this version, and it should work properly. 

Thank you very much for your response. I have downloaded the newer build, and I will let you know how Scanner acts with the drive. The SMART data for the drive is now appearing in Scanner, which is very promising.

It did pass the WD Data Lifeguard Extended Test overnight, so I expect Scanner will say it is OK, too.