Odrive. 'delete / offline after upload' its like dropbox for amazon cloud.

kenwshmt

Question

I started using this week. and its $100 a year.. so there is that.

The professional service does a 'delete' after a successful upload.. you put 10 gig in it, it will delete 10 gig, replace it with download markers, when its succeded.

there does seem to be a 4,6,or 8 gig file size limit, so be sure to split the really big files.

https://www.odrive.com/account/myodrive

6 answers to this question

yes.

Think of it as an un-syncing dropbox.

You install it where ever. all of the stations can contribute to the same path, but if they aren't configured to retrieve anything all you will see on them is a download marker.

these are all using the same account. it does no duplicate removal or compression, for that you need something like arq.

I've managed to clean off nearly 1 TB so far to amazon cloud.

If there were a tweek or you can make to pool drive to be odrive aware.. that would be wonderful.

This is an unmapped directory, double clicking on it retrieves the next level of the directory structure and any download markers it contains:

Spaces.cloudf

and this is an offline file:

NetDrive2_Setup_2_6_1_689.exe.cloud

retrieval only works locally,  while you can share a sync path, you can only contribute to it. when its offlined you will have to retrieve it from a station running odrive.

encryption / passwords are done at the directory level

I wasn't thinking of using it in the drive pool path, more as a backup destination.

If drive pool knew what the additional suffix meant .cloud .cloudf (folder) then it would be considered backed up, and not take any space locally. or more to the point, still consider it backed up when it became zero length and renamed.

I don't know how things are 'restored' from a duplicate backup path in drive pool, but this would require launching it by association. odrive does allow for command line retrieves. the file is restored, and renamed.

REALLY liking the odrive.. while its a bit of 'all the eggs in one basket'. its great for offlining stuff you need to have but probably never retrieved again. it defiantly has a file size limit, it seems to have problems with amazon cloud at about 6 gig, so if you use it there you might file split less than 4 or so gig.

its not perfect, and beware updates. they can devalidate your encryption.. and that's a messy 'remove / reattach'.. and its really messy if you do the 'out of the odrive' settings.. not update friendly at all. so live in the odrive, in as few encrypted paths as possible.

between 2 amazon accounts ive both backed up and offlined nearly 50 TB. and still going.  if you do system images, use something that can break it into 4 gig chunks. easeus or something, if its a windows image, use a file splitter.

I haven't attempted anything with drive pool drive yet. I would love to disable all the local duplication and have odrive simply copy it to amazon, but ive not tried this yet. it can do simple mirroring. and its very fast. its upload can saturate your bandwidth, if the receiver is capable of it. I have a 100 mb pipe, and I've done better than 500 gig a day.