Copies from DP to external drives freezing to 0 Mbps

John

Question

Hi everyone,

I've got a pool set up 3x4TB and 1x3TB drives, with duplication. I've been having a lot of problems copying files (multiple tens or hundreds of GB at a time) off the drivepool to external hard drives over USB. The file transfer will start at what seems like a reasonably quick speed, but then the transfer will get 'stuck' and the rate will drop to zero for some substantial amount of time. If I catch it quickly and pause the transfer in the Windows dialog, I can un-pause it and the transfer will resume like nothing happened. 

However, if it gets into this state, I can't pause the download... the 'pause' request never gets acknowledged and the transfer sits there indefinitely.

Can someone help me diagnose, or point me in the right direction? This is getting to be a huge problem if I can't reliably copy large amounts of data off the DP at any moment.

Thanks,

John

post-2429-0-23721000-1460248373_thumb.png

6 answers to this question

What OS are you using? (run "control system" if you're not sure)

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?  (run "control appwiz.cpl", and check the version number). 

Also, could you confirm if this behavior happens when copying to any of the pooled disks? 

Also, try running "eventvwr.msc" on the system, and check the "System" set in the "Windows Logs" section.  See if there are any disk, ntfs, or controller (such as ahci, iaStor, raid, or xhci) errors, especially when this behavior appears. 

Also, do you have any antivirus, backup or disk tools installed? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

And enable file system logging and reproduce the behavior. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Hi Christopher,

I'm on the latest Windows 10, with DrivePool 2.1.561. No backup or antivirus beyond Windows Defender.

The external drive in question is old and was pretty full, probably fragmented as well, so I cleared it off and formatted it. Testing it again now to see if the behavior happens again. I'll give you a log if I can repro the issue.

If the external is pretty old, then yes, fragmentation could cause this (or at least a drop in performance).  

Also, depending on the chipset used for the enclosure, and how it's hooked up (USB, eSATA, and the controller on your system), it could cause issues with the high level of performance, causing the controller to become unstable or even crash.  that sounds like it *may*  be what is going on here, and it could definitely cause the behavior you're seeing. 

If the issue persists, please do grab the logs. Also, let me know how the disk is connected exactly. (both the enclosure, and how it's connected, and the controller card or motherboard in use) 

Did you ever get this resolved?

I just setup my first pool this afternoon using 2 drives in a dual USB3.0 enclosure (Vantec brand). Copying data to the pool works fine and the speeds are good. I get about 100 MB/s with no duplication and around 55 MB/s with immediate duplication on.

However, I tried copying a few large files off the pool to a different, non-pooled drive and get the same problem as the OP. It gets to around 25%, the speed drops to 0, and it just sits there.

To clarify, this is occuring when copying files off of the pool, correct? 

If so, does this happen if you copy the data from the drives directly, rather than from the pool? Or does this only happen from the pool drive.

If it's happening with the underlying drives, then this may be a hardware related issue (or possibly antivirus or 3rd party defrag related). 

Post the results of this: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

And see if disabling any antivirus program helps. 

You may also want to use StableBit Scanner to run a burst test on the drive to see if it's a connection issue. 

If this is ONLY happening from the pool drive, then could you enable logging and reproduce the issue?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection