HP ML10 v2 i3 version overkill?

Gottria

Question

Well my little HP M40L finally died and didn't think it was worth getting a new mother board at $165. It was running WHS2011 but it just felt slow and bloated, so I installed Windows 8.1 on a spare 240gb SSD, setup DrivePool and was back in business and what a difference, maybe I fried the MB with the new speed.

So I picked up an ipen boxed HP ML10 v2 with 4gb ram and the i3 processor. After reading aroung there a re a few tricks to install windows 8, apparently it's not a supported OS, yea I know I bought a "server" so I should be running a server OS. But I like the simplicity of DrivePool and I don't really want to start messing with raids with mixed capacity drives.

SO is the ML10 v2 with the i3 overkill? I was tempted to grab a desktop AMD board and processor, because of the price, pull the 8gbs form my 40L and get a Lian Li PC-Q25B case and rebuild. BUt I don't think it would have been as cheap as the HP ML10.

3 answers to this question

Is it overkill? 

That really depends on what you're doing with the system. If it's just hosting shares, then probably.  But the CPUs downclock when idle, conserving power and generating less heat. So it really shouldn't matter, honestly.

Though, personally, I'd rather have a bit more processing power when I need it, and the Core i3 processors are a good choice. 

So yeah, that should be more than plenty for the system. :)

And in that case, you may want to enable the "Network I/O Boost" option. This uses some additional CPU cycles to identify and prioritize network access to the pool over local disk access.  Since the CPU won't be doing much else, there is no reason not to enable the option here. ;)