split mirror to rearrange contents (rename / move files / directories)

rimmon1971

Question

Hello everybody. Here comes another (maybe) silly question from Italy :)

Basically, I need to temporarily split mirror, leaving one disk to serve contents until I have finished to rearrange them.

I'd like to start using Plex (it's a little picky about naming conventions), but during name / structure reconfiguration I need that one side of the mirror stays on place, to serve contents "the old way".

I'd like to transfer the split side of the mirror to another PC with Drivepool software installed, perform whatever operation is needed, and reconnect the drive to the original location to have the mirror synchronized "the right way".

Is it possible at all? Any suggestion about the right procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

5 answers to this question

Ah, okay.  And yes, that should be "reattach". 

And unfortunately, there isn't really a good way to do this, not built into StableBit DrivePool. 

However, IIRC, plex does allow you to use multiple directories for a single library. What you *could* do here (i'm not entirely sure this will work, but it very well may):  Created a secondary folder.  Specifically, rename the folder to "Movies-Preprocessed" or the like, add that to the library and let it index while nobody is using it.  Then recreate a "staging" folder, the destination Movies folder, and copy a few at a time to the staging folder.  Do a good number at a time, force plex to refresh, and then delete the originals. This way, you can have plex up, work on the files, and keep the family happy. 

Well, why do you need to split it? Any changes you make to the files or folder will be applied to all copies at the same time. 

Aside from that, "Not really". 

Specifically, if you remove one of the disks, it will mark the pool as read only until you remove the missing disk.  

If you reattach the removed disks (and only if it's done in this way), it will reconnect to the pool If you changed files on one of the disks, it will show both the old and new version, and both are considered "correct", as the software doesn't track the files. 

However, that said, if everything is duplicated, you could use the "duplicate data later" option when removing the disk. You'd want to delete the contents or format the disk. you can then re-add the drive, and StableBit DrivePool will reduplicate the data. 

Well, why do you need to split it? Any changes you make to the files or folder will be applied to all copies at the same time. 

Aside from that, "Not really". 

Specifically, if you remove one of the disks, it will mark the pool as read only until you remove the missing disk.  

If you reattach the removed disks (and only if it's done in this way), it will reconnect to the pool If you changed files on one of the disks, it will show both the old and new version, and both are considered "correct", as the software doesn't track the files. 

However, that said, if everything is duplicated, you could use the "duplicate data later" option when removing the disk. You'd want to delete the contents or format the disk. you can then re-add the drive, and StableBit DrivePool will reduplicate the data. 

The main reason for mirror splitting is "to save goat and cabbage": letting my wife&son accessing movies and cartoons "the old way", while taking my time for rearranging them in a way that Plex will eventually like.

Your phrase "Specifically, if you remove one of the disks, it will mark the pool as read only until you remove the missing disk" should be read as "Specifically, if you remove one of the disks, it will mark the pool as read only until you reattach the missing disk", isnt'it?

Thanks