Direct I/O Test & ScsiPassThrough48

kihimcarr

I posted the results from the two cards I am using in a WS2012E VM Guest in ESXi 5.1 U1 with both LSI SAS cards passed-through to the Guest VM.

Everything seems to work fine except under heavy disk I/O (i.e. Scanner is scanning drives and Drivepool is balancing the pool) VMware tools crashes and I have to reboot the Guest OS (WS2012E). I have uninstalled scanner and haven't had any issues since. It's been about 48 hours.

My question:

Does Scanner iterate through the methods until it finds one that is suitable to read the drives or is there a setting where I can tell it to use ScsiPassThrough48 explicitly?

If this is happening under heavy IO loads, it may be a "power management" option that is to blame here. Could you try following the link and see if that helps?

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/set-pci-express-link-state-power-management/

If that doesn't help, let us know.

And IIRC, it detects the drive/controller and uses the "safe" methods for them based on the information submitted to BitFlock and based on feedback.

• 1 month later...

Does Scanner iterate through the methods until it finds one that is suitable to read the drives or is there a setting where I can tell it to use ScsiPassThrough48 explicitly?

In particular, the Scanner iterates through the "safe" methods on first disk detection and from then on uses the method that works. For USB enclosures it uses BitFlock to get a "hint method" based on the hardware ID of the USB enclosure.

SAT is not on the safe list because it was reported to crash some controllers in the past. You can enable the Unsafe Direct I/O method to always iterate through all of the non-USB methods.