Question

hi all

hope someone here can help me please

decided to get 2012 r2

pulled my working whs 2011 and installed new system drive with 2012 r2

all seems fine however

cannot see server on my network

can rdp into it

but it seems the server cannot also connect to the internet especially windows update

any ideas PLEASE :-(

12 answers to this question

For the internet stuff, is this Server 2012R2 Standard or Essentials?

if it's Essentials, open the control panel, open the "System and Security" section, and open the "Administrative Tools" section.  Open the "DNS" console.

From there, find the server's name, and right click on it. Select "Properties" here. Open the "DNS Forwarders" tab, and make sure this is set correctly.  Either to your ISP's DNS servers, or Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS's. Once that's done, it should help.

Otherwise, it may be something else here. Does windows update give a specific error code?

As for the shares, are you using: 

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_2.0.0.1.exe

If not, try using that. Otherwise, try using the dashboard and see if that lets you create the folder at the existing location. 

If this is not Essentials, it makes everything a bit more complicated. 

thanks drashna

superb service as normal

internet side of things are now sorted seemed like loads of updates and reboots were needed

yes its 2012 r 2 essentials I am using and this connector reshare seems to have done trhe trick

Couldn't find that version anywhere on the site

will do some testing today

and thanks so much again

ok all seems to be and running

had to point my folders to their location of pool Z

such a learning curve

not to stop the client joining the domain

seems the workarounds on the net allow the connector install and then after reboot the client is part of the domain

You're very welcome.

As for the share tool, yeah, it's kind of tucked away, sorry about that.  

Though, 2012R2 doesn't strictly need this, it looks like. So it's more for convenience. 

As for the client domain join, you can either learn to use it (which isn't so bad, IMO, but I'm definitely not the average user), or you can manually leave the domain without any issues. 

You know how to change the workgroup on the client system, right? If so, it's the same method, however, you select the "workgroup" option instead (though change this to match what the domain says, minus the ".local" at the end).  

This should help with network visibility.

When you leave the domain, you need to specify the domain admin account for the server (eg, the credentials you'd use for the dashboard login). 

drashna

one last question can you remove the server from the domain and add back to the workgroup

if its left in the domain client pc's pin code log in gets taken away and its a pain for my kids/wife

I noticed when you instal its on the workgroup and only afterwards joins the domain

drashna

one last question can you remove the server from the domain and add back to the workgroup

if its left in the domain client pc's pin code log in gets taken away and its a pain for my kids/wife

I noticed when you instal its on the workgroup and only afterwards joins the domain

No. A lot of the code explicitily requires that the server be part of the domain. Even if none of the clients are. Removing it from the domain breaks a lot of the functionality, and may leave the server in an unusable state.

However, the client PC *can* leave the domain without any issues. 

However, if you do want to enable PIN login for domain accounts, you want to use the "Group Policy Manager" on the server. Open the "Forest: DOMANI.local" section, open the "Domains' section, and right click on the "DOMAIN.local" object and select the "Create a GPO object and link it here". Name it "Enable PIN Login" and then edit it. 

Right click on the newly created GPO Object and select "Edit". Then do this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-pin-sign-in-for-domain-users/

This will enable Pin Login for domain user accounts. Fixing your issue. :)

You'll need to run "gpupdate /force" on the server, and then on the clients (and may require a restart). But it should allow you to use PIN logins. 

Also, These Group Policies allow for a shitload of options, and customization. If you've ever used secpol.msc or gpedit.msc, this is what they mess with. And Group policies allow you to apply them to any computer on the domain. 

Christopher

one more question if I may

As my windows 2011 seemed so slow and lagging althought running i5 with 16gb ram ive decided to retry the windows 2012r2 essentials

got all my stablebit products running fine

got Launchpad on client and can see my shares

don't want to join domain used the well documented links you have provided

but how can I get server to show under network from clients

as need this for printer and mymovies etc

thanks again

Make sure that the server and the clients are using the same workgroup as the server. 

Eg, the server should be using something like "DOMAIN" (or "DOMAIN.local").  Set the workgroup to match the "DOMAIN" info, and that should help. 

Otherwise, it may be worth installing the "WINS" feature on the server, and configuring the entry in your router.  That may also help.