• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Amazon Cloud Drive - Why is it not supported?

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 evulhotdog

evulhotdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:23 AM

I've read that you don't need the other four users to qualify. It says its a req, but when actually using the service you have unlimited regardless.

• Ginoliggime, KiaraEvirm and Antoineki like this

#42 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:04 PM

I've read that you don't need the other four users to qualify. It says its a req, but when actually using the service you have unlimited regardless.

But I believe that you still have to pay for all of the users, regardless of how many you use.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#43 thnz

thnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:38 AM

Is there any news on this? I see we can now use custom ClientIDs and ClientSecrets - I assume to use our own dev profile with Amazon.

Also trying the latest beta (.456) and it's throwing 'Chunk 0 was not found' errors when creating a new drive on ACD.

#44 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:57 PM

Is there any news on this? I see we can now use custom ClientIDs and ClientSecrets - I assume to use our own dev profile with Amazon.

Also trying the latest beta (.456) and it's throwing 'Chunk 0 was not found' errors when creating a new drive on ACD.

To be honest, it's not really a high priority as we want to get a stable version of StableBit CloudDrive out sooner rather than later. And fighting with Amazon Cloud Drive may take weeks, months or longer. 

However, the "Chunk 0" issue is new, due to some of the backend changes. And Alex is aware of it, and looking into it. 

Edit: Fixed in the 1.0.0.459 build: http://dl.covecube.c.../beta/download/

But again, we really do recommend against using the Amazon Cloud Drive provider right now. As we've said, it's just not reliable or stable. 

• Alex likes this

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#45 Talyrius

Talyrius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR, US

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

And fighting with Amazon Cloud Drive may take weeks, months or longer.

…But again, we really do recommend against using the Amazon Cloud Drive provider right now. As we've said, it's just not reliable or stable.

I hope you continue to make that fight a priority while doing your best to workaround their lousy API implementation.

Without jumping through hoops for Google Apps Unlimited, Amazon Cloud Drive is, currently, the only affordable option for unlimited cloud storage.

#46 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

I hope you continue to make that fight a priority while doing your best to workaround their lousy API implementation.

Without jumping through hoops for Google Apps Unlimited, Amazon Cloud Drive is, currently, the only affordable option for unlimited cloud storage.

Well, adding additional providers and "fixing and work around issues" in the Amazon Cloud Drive provider are planned for after the stable release. 

And yes, it's about the cheapest... the problem is, Amazon really seems to be trying to stick to the maxim of "You get what you pay for". And that's unfortunate for consumers. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#47 thnz

thnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

FWIW .460 seems to be usable atm, much moreso than it was when I last tried several months ago. While not line-speed, speeds are much improved.

Whether this is due to optimisations you guys have done recently (chunk sizes, chunk caching etc), less people using it with ACD, or I just got lucky when I tried it I guess its hard to say. Regardless, I won't be storing anything worth losing on it until its no longer experimental.

#48 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

FWIW .460 seems to be usable atm, much moreso than it was when I last tried several months ago. While not line-speed, speeds are much improved.

Whether this is due to optimisations you guys have done recently (chunk sizes, chunk caching etc), less people using it with ACD, or I just got lucky when I tried it I guess its hard to say. Regardless, I won't be storing anything worth losing on it until its no longer experimental.

Well, there have been a lot of backend changes recently. Including to the chunk code, so it may have significantly optimized the performance for Amazon Cloud Drive incidentally (we try to share as much of the code between providers as possible, as it's easier and more efficient in the long term).

But it may have also been a timing thing too. :)

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#49 thnz

thnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

Also, I'm getting the same speeds with my own (dev status) custom security profile, so I guess that rules out throttling from lots of people on a single profile.

#50 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:13 PM

Also, I'm getting the same speeds with my own (dev status) custom security profile, so I guess that rules out throttling from lots of people on a single profile.

If that's the case, then Amazon may (finally) be improving some of their backend to better handle stuff. Or the changes that we've made have definitely improved performance. 

Either way, glad to hear it.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#51 thnz

thnz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

Is there any chance of having the thread limit increased slightly when using a custom Amazon security profile? If the purpose of the thread limit was to allow more concurrent users on the dev status profile, then this shouldn't be an issue with a custom profile.

#52 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

Is there any chance of having the thread limit increased slightly when using a custom Amazon security profile? If the purpose of the thread limit was to allow more concurrent users on the dev status profile, then this shouldn't be an issue with a custom profile.

I don't see any reasons why not. And it's a good idea. 

Flagged this for Alex:

https://stablebit.co...eAnalysis/25922

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#53 Talyrius

Talyrius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

There has been no further communication from Amazon since January? How disappointing…

#54 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

There has been no further communication from Amazon since January? How disappointing…

Part of that, is t hat we haven't really pursued communications with them. 

We've been focusing more on fixing stuff overall, rather than just trying to work on compatibility for Amazon Cloud Drive. This was because we didn't want to delay development of the product itself because of a single provider is having issues that ... well, "that aren't our fault". 

And from what some users have said, this has actually significantly improved both speed and reliability for Amazon Cloud Drive.  

Once we have a stable release build out, we do plan on actively pursing this again. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#55 evulhotdog

evulhotdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

Wouldn't make more sense to try and do whatever you can with ACD, if they are taking forever to respond/work with you guys to fix issues? In theory it would save time down the road.

Also, there are no other services that I have interest in pursuing other than ACD, for the sake that its unlimited and the price point that it is at. 

There are no other services or 'mounting' software that allows the same functionality that you are able to provide in your product. I cant stress enough about the high number of people that using ACD for streaming content from the cloud, and that number would be huge if you can develop a product that works with that, and encryption too (crucial feature in my book). 

See link, and you'll better understand. 

https://www.reddit.c...ce&t=all#page=1

• Talyrius likes this

#56 Talyrius

Talyrius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

You can surely continue working towards a stable release in the downtime between their unpunctual responses, yes?

Also, there are no other services that I have interest in pursuing other than ACD, for the sake that its unlimited and the price point that it is at.

This is true for me as well. If CloudDrive gets approved for production with ACD, this is where most of your license sales are going to be coming from.

#57 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:59 PM

Wouldn't make more sense to try and do whatever you can with ACD, if they are taking forever to respond/work with you guys to fix issues? In theory it would save time down the road.

There are no other services or 'mounting' software that allows the same functionality that you are able to provide in your product. I cant stress enough about the high number of people that using ACD for streaming content from the cloud, and that number would be huge if you can develop a product that works with that, and encryption too (crucial feature in my book). 

See link, and you'll better understand. 

https://www.reddit.c...ce&t=all#page=1

The problem is that we are. and have been.  The problem is server stability issues, as well as trying to pull teeth to get actual limitations that we should be using. They're not documenting these at all, so we're doing this blindly. 

Also, because we are a very small company, we don't really have the resources to go around. So our top priority pretty much as to be issues and improvements that benefit all (or many) of the providers, rather than focusing on a single provider. 

To be blunt, if Amazon Cloud Drive documented their API limits and guidelines and documented the max bandwidth per client allowed, or .... well, actually created a service that PROPERLY implemented throttling (both for APIs per time period, and for connection speed aka MB/s), then there would be a much smaller issue here, and it would be much easier to implement.

Because the issue why we have "temporarily abandoned" Amazon Cloud Drive, because the point we were at was in a very bad development cycle that Amazon mandates. Specifically:

1. Release a build and send it to Amazon
  2. Amazon analyzes it's usage
  3. Amazon tells us that we're making too many API calls, using too many threads, uploading too fast, or making more API calls than expected and tells us we need to change that
  4. Fix it to fit within Amazon's black box limits
  5. Repeat

That's what we were doing, and it was affecting the development status of the entire product. Because from our standpoint, it really looks like Amazon doesn't have their shit together. At least in regards to their Cloud Drive service.

And yes, I know it's very popular, because it's about the cheapest, unlimited provider. In fact, I do have a paid subscription for it, so I definitely have a vested interest in it working properly. 

This is true for me as well. If CloudDrive gets approved for production with ACD, this is where most of your license sales are going to be coming from.

Even *if* we do get approved for production status (again), there will be a hard limit on the bandwidth (otherwise Amazon *will* demote us again, most likely), and unless we are able to get it working reliably and stably, it will be stuck as an experimental provider. 

And we do plan on pursuing this, but once we have a stable build and .. well, more time to devote solely to it.

• modplan likes this

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#58 duelistjp

duelistjp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

any new info on this it has been over 2 months now

#59 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:00 AM

The latest beta builds include a bunch of fixes that do seem to significantly improve the performance and reliability of the provider.

however, because it's been in significant flux, we haven't really pursued this with Amazon. When we get the next public beta build out, we plan on aggressively following up on this. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#60 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:49 PM

And ... astute users may have noticed this in the change log: 

• [Issue #27077] Amazon Cloud Drive returns a HTTP 400 error (bad request) when a chunk appears to get lost on their end. The error code is returned as a JSON encoded string inside a JSON encoded object as part of the 400 error. We now parse these, and process them accordingly. The user will now get a more informative "Chunk N was not found" error in the UI. The data loss can be verified by logging into the Amazon Cloud Drive's web UI and attempting to download the lost chunk. There is no mitigation for this issue, other than displaying a more informative error message, because the data is lost on Amazon's end.

This may be a temporary issue, that may have been resolved already... but if not, it indicates a serious issue with the provider, and one we cannot tolerate. 

Alex has experienced this himself, and we've had a couple of reports about this issue.  So it's not an isolated issue. 

And to clarify, the data loss is on Amazon's side, and random, but infrequent.  

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users