• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Amazon Cloud Drive - Why is it not supported?

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 Ian Spencer

Ian Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

WIth the RCLONE API KEY being revoked, is there a chance that StableBit CloudDrive API Keys gets revoked as well? Don't want to lose access to the data I have in ACD.

I don't see any future in ACD

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • Antoineki likes this

#182 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

WIth the RCLONE API KEY being revoked, is there a chance that StableBit CloudDrive API Keys gets revoked as well? Don't want to lose access to the data I have in ACD.

Yes. 

We do have the option/ability to specify other keys.... but getting a working one? Good luck.

that said, we're still stuck on "development status", so we have some severe limitations....  hence the hard coded limits. 

that said, in the latest betas, we've added the ability to mount the drive "disconnected' (so that if you have a large cache, that will remain intact), and we've added a "conversion" tool, so that if you download the entire contents of the "StableBit cloudDrive" folder, you can convert the data to the "local disk" provider format, and regain access to the data.  

We specifically added these (the second especially) due to ACD issues (eg, acd_cli and rclone getting blacklisted), as well as some Google Drive issues (account crackdowns).

I don't see any future in ACD

Which is exactly why we removed the ability to create new drives.  Unfortunately. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#183 vertigo235

vertigo235

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Those are great new features. Maybe I'll spool up a drive again, I tabled cloud drive a while back with concerns of losing access to data like you described. Especially given the investment to upload all the pieces.
  • Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#184 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

Wel, the features are definitely diagnostic in nature... and if you plan on using the "mount disconnected drive" feature... then you definitely want to have a large cache (the larger, the better).  That way, more is stored locally, just in case.

As for the conversion tool, yeah, there is a request to expand support for it, which isn't a bad idea. Especially with the recent rash of Google Drive accounts being shut down (ebay resold accounts). 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#185 Ian Spencer

Ian Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

Why would Google close an account sold on eBay, oh did a Google search that's risky buying University and business accounts that the organisation and Google can shut down. I hope no one here did that as you will be on borrowed time.

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

#186 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

Yup, very risky business.  

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#187 foundpunk

foundpunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:56 AM

So is the general consensus that it's only a matter of time before ACD isn't allowed at all?  Is there any hope? I know most of it looks like to be on there end and they're not being very supportive, but your decision also relied on the bigger picture and not to focus on just 1 provider. Which may be there vision as well. I feel like StableBit is reputable enough as to warrant more respect as a commercial asset. Nothing against rclone and acd_cli, but they're not as presentable.

#188 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

So is the general consensus that it's only a matter of time before ACD isn't allowed at all?  Is there any hope? I know most of it looks like to be on there end and they're not being very supportive, but your decision also relied on the bigger picture and not to focus on just 1 provider. Which may be there vision as well. I feel like StableBit is reputable enough as to warrant more respect as a commercial asset. Nothing against rclone and acd_cli, but they're not as presentable.

Honestly, we have no idea. 

What I do know is that the service has been less than reliable (may periods of "429" errors, outright outages, etc), and how Amazon handles issues and communication has been less than stellar. (both in our experience, and what we've seen in general).

We may not get the ax, but Amazon appears to have no desire to work with us, either.  It's a lose-lose situation right now, and maybe (hopefully) that will change.  if it does .... well, we'll re-evaluate at that time.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#189 Ian Spencer

Ian Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:24 AM

Honestly, we have no idea.

What I do know is that the service has been less than reliable (may periods of "429" errors, outright outages, etc), and how Amazon handles issues and communication has been less than stellar. (both in our experience, and what we've seen in general).

We may not get the ax, but Amazon appears to have no desire to work with us, either. It's a lose-lose situation right now, and maybe (hopefully) that will change. if it does .... well, we'll re-evaluate at that time.

Well Amazon have killed unlimited now, I wonder if others will follow.

Well Amazon have killed unlimited now wonder if others will follow.

#190 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

Well, to be honest, Amazon is just following others, after proving internally that "unlimited" is unsustainable.  

And it caps at 30TB for $1800/year (or $150/month).  Not affordable for me ... and I'd need to use 2-3 accounts (so $300-450/month... so Amazon S3 becomes instantly more affordable). 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#191 Ian Spencer

Ian Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

Wouldn't Google drive be a better option or do you think the business accounts will stop offering unlimited?

#192 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

Well, Google has been cracking down on usage.... so  it may not be the best option unless you're willing to pay for the 5+ accounts per month.  

Otherwise, that may be the best option ATM. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#193 Ian Spencer

Ian Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

If you get the 5 accounts for $50 a year each can't you just pay $10 per month for one account unlimited data or does that cost go on each account?

#194 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:45 PM

If you get the 5 accounts for $50 a year each can't you just pay $10 per month for one account unlimited data or does that cost go on each account?

As written, you would need to pay for all 5 accounts ( so $50/month). 

That said, From what others have said, Google seems to not enforce this, so you may be fine.

But considering the discontinuation of Amazon Cloud Drive (and the now oddly timed) crack down on account abuse by Google ... I wouldn't risk it. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#195 Yuri Alexandrov

Yuri Alexandrov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

Looks like for very large data sizes Backblaze B2 are best option? Do you plan to add it support?

• AndrewBucklin likes this

#196 Ian Spencer

Ian Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:09 AM

Yeah I can see a lot of refugees from ACD heading straight to gsuite and suddenly Google will start enforcing terms of service.

#197 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Looks like for very large data sizes Backblaze B2 are best option? Do you plan to add it support?

Well, it's not the "best" option.  Downloading is still going to cost you a good chunk. Maybe not as much as Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft Azure storage, but ... instead of $100+/month, it will be $20-25/month, or more.  It still makes many consumer cloud solutions the more attractive solution still. 

As for adding B2 support, it's on our to do list.  But before we get to those, we plan on releasing stable versions of StableBit DrivePool and StableBit Scanner. 

Yeah I can see a lot of refugees from ACD heading straight to gsuite and suddenly Google will start enforcing terms of service.

Well, ironically, this started happening BEFORE Amazon announced their changes.  But I wouldn't be surprised if there as behind the scenes communication that happened. 

And I'm sure that Google will continue to crack down, as there will likely be an influx of G Suite accounts now. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users