Windows Nano Server

otispresley

Question

I was just wondering if you guys have given any thought toward developing and offering a NAS-type product based on Windows Nano Server (assuming it works out with licensing)? You could include DrivePool, Scanner, CloutDrive, and any future products on it as the trial versions and sell licenses as you do now.

Of course, it would have to be remote GUI or have a web UI. This would also be a good platform for doing some media things with something like Emby. It would be really light-weight and easy to maintain, and it can be installed on a physical box or as a VM.

4 answers to this question

Considered it, absolutely. And we'd really love to sell a pre-built and preconfigured box.

However, the hardware market is very competitive, and we'd want a really nice product, if we released it. And something that is easy to manage. 

Beyond just our existing software, we'd need to add a lot to make it usable. 

Once Windows Nano Server is "out", we'll definitely re-evaluate it.

Well,  if it makes you feel better, the core/nano installation of Tech Preview 3 did seem to allow StableBit Scanner and Stablebit DrivePool to be installed. 

I'd have to double check though. 

And we've recently massively improved the dpcmd utility (the DrivePool command line utility)

Cool deal, thanks! I have not tried Nano Server yet. They just released Tech Preview 4, but I decided to wait until the final release before messing with Containers and Nano Server just because I do not want to introduce anything that could cause instability on my server. I originally installed Tech Preview 3 because all my Windows PC's are now running Windows 10 and there were some issues causing me to be unable to manage Hyper-V 2012 R2 with that version of Hyper-V Manager.