Easy2Boot

Thronic

When StableBit Scanner is installed the Easy2Boot batch file MAKE_E2B_USB_DRIVE (run as admin).cmd fails when trying to format a USB drive. The script runs RMPrepUSB for the job, and it claims the drive is not accessible and suggests closing explorer windows or applications that are using the drive.

The only thing that actually worked was removing the scanner. I suppose there's some low level conflict somewhere with how it occupies or "tags" USB drives. I just wanted to tip about it.

I checked beforehand if the Scanner was doing anything, but it had not started scanning it yet at all.

Stopping the service works. And error comes back when it's started again.

But I've done some more tests, and it seems it just happens with the Kingston Datatraveler 2.0 16GB drive. I've tested a couple others, a non-brand cheap'o and a Datatraveler 3.0 8GB which worked fine. So it's not a big issue really.

Well, I can't reliably reproduce the issue.

If I had to guess, it's an issue with the API and how it's being used.  I don't think this is related to anything that Stablebit Scanner is doing specifically (but it may be triggering the behavior that's causing it).  

To be blunt, I think this is an issue that the developer of the RMPrepUSB needs to address, not us. (because he's probably not using the "force" parameter). 

However, I've flagged the issue for Alex (the developer) and we will look into it. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/20830

I actually just reproduced it in both Rufus latest version, and Diskpart for cleaning the drive to see if that helped.

These screenshots are in Norwegian mainly, but they all claim no access to drive / it's busy from another process. And it went away when I stopped the scanner process. This was also one of the drives that worked before, a Kingston Datatraveler 8GB.

err2.png

err3.png

EDIT: This is in Windows 10 Home

Versjon 10.0.10240 Build 10240

StableBit Scanner uses WMI, which does connect to the Virtual Disk Service (VDS).  

So, it's not strictly StableBit Scanner causing the issue. But that it's querying information, VDS is accessing the volume and locking it. 

That would be why it's inconsistent (at least for me). 

However, that's a guess at best. VDS is used by just about everything that accesses the disks at a lower level. That includes diskpart, Disk Management, and probably the FormatEX API. 

Either way, i've updated the info for Alex, to let him know.