should i try to put my older asus board back into service

Ryo

Question

gotta get new board and cpu and video card... the raid card on my 880gma doesnt support win 10 and now i have 2 mx200 250gb drives and i want them in raid 0... so the question is do i go z97 and keep using my ddr 3 1600mhz ram or go skylake and buy ddr 4 ram ? staying ddr 3 save me a good chunk of cash.. but is skylake required for dx12? the geforse 970gtx is dx12 capable

is it worth it to get an i7 4790k for gaming and all around use with a 4gb  gtx 970 or stick with an i5 4690k

If you have the Core i5 already, definitely stick with it.  Personally, I use a Core i3 for my gaming system, and haven't had an issue.  The graphics card really is the important part for gaming.

buying a new board and chip and gpu.. but it must last me awhile and I want a K cpu for overclocking.. ill be buying games though steam.. 1st game will be train simulator 2016

Ugh, I am not a fan of overclocking.  

To be blunt, I personally don't feel that it's really  worth the minor gain you get. Especially as you void the warranty by overclocking it.

I'd rather buy a better CPU.

? for my gaming pc

im looking at rebuilding with an MSI z97 gaming 5 or gaming 6 full atx motherboard... i have 2 250gb crucial mx200 ssd that i may raid 0 for os and i wanna run steam so i am thinking of either hoping the 500gb is enough storage or using a wd black or red spindle drive to store steam liabrary and i was considering using drivepool so i can add 2nd drive to pool when needed if i buy that many games.. already bought shadow of mordor and thats 40gb alone...also looking at gtx 960 4gb for graphics and i5 4690k or i7 4790k for cpu... let me no what u guys think this will all sit on win 10 pro

o and i have 16gb ram (4x4) gskill ripjaws ddr 3 1600

Honestly, if you have 2 SSD drives.... what I'd recommend doing is setting one as the system drive (not RAIDed), and use the other for the Steam library. That way, you're splitting the IO between the systems.  It may not be strictly necessary due to the SSD's speed and IOPS (I/O Operations Per Second).   But it it may, depending on the load, and at the very least, if you have to wipe the system, your steam library is intact. 

Additionally, you don't have to worry about degraded performance due to a lack of properly TRIM support. 

And you could absolutely pool the secondary disk for the steam library. It's not a bad idea, especially if you have a large library. 

my ssd are both crucial mx 200  250gb so if i use your idea ill fill 250gb very fast.. my 2nd idea was 2 use 1 250gb ssd for the os and then get wd red or black for steam library. and put them in a pool. (i can create a 1 disk pool correct?) then add drives as needed total pool will b 3 drives and smallest will b rotated out for larger as needed. so I'm thinking start with either 2 or 3 tb drives for either a 4 or 6 tb pool and expand as needed...will my steam games run off the pool? currently I have shadow of mordor (40gb game)

Yes, you create a 1 disk pool. There is absolutely no issues with that.

And it sounds like you have a lot of games, and plan on filling up the disks.  If that is the case, a pool with an SSD and a HDD would be a good idea. You can then use the "File Placement Rules" to put the newer, commonly played games on the SSD, and put the older/less played games on the HDD. That way, you get faster load times off of the SSD.

To be honest, any of the above options should be good. It really depends on personal preference. 

And yes, the Steam games should run off of the pool without any issues. But this varies from game to game. it is possible that some games may have an issue with this. But I'm not aware of any that specifically do. 

btw i wanna thank u christopher for the xeon 1246v3 opinion for my server ive had no major issues at all and its still running flawless 24/7....

it has 32 gb gskill trident (4 x8gb sticks)

Welcome. :)

And yeah, at least for the time, it was about the best balance between performance, features and price. Though, I'm certain that's changed now (if only because of the 5th and 6th generation Core i series CPUs (and the equivalent xeon updates).

I may be rearranging some hardware... and am wondering if I have to get a smaller cpu formy server if I'm able to run of a Pentium 3258 anniversary dual cor or is my phenom Quad enough power with 16gb  ram either way?

I'm trying to keep the ability to stream from home 2 my laptop when I'm out and about....I have the phenom 2 945 with 16gb ddr 3 1600 (4x4) and a gt640 gpu o onboard motherboard card... either should do nicely .. I kinda need my xeon 1246 for my gaming pc build...

Well, Plex is very CPU intensive.

The more streams you use at the same time, the better CPU you want. And if you're streaming HD content, then you want a better CPU. 

So it really depends on your usage. But if you're using Plex, the best CPU that you can afford is a good idea.

would it hurt my server to much if i run it with the current xeon 1246v3 but drop to 16gb  (4x4) insteade of the current 32gb?

I haven't seen the server ever max or come near using 16gb ram but also have not done any plex or ripping yet

would it hurt my server to much if i run it with the current xeon 1246v3 but drop to 16gb  (4x4) insteade of the current 32gb?

Depends on exactly what it's doing and how much is running on it.

However, likely not.  I'm running my server at 16GBs right now, and it's just fine (and I do a lot on it).

ya im thinking about swapping my tridents and ripjaws so i can have the 32 gb kit for my gaming / possible video editing workstation...wich will have a gtx 960 4gb  graphics card and sli later.and the new gaming rig will hopfully have the xeon e3-1231v3 wich is identical to the e3-1246v3 but without onboard graphics.