Problem with Samsung HD103SJ drives on RR2720SGL

Ronski

Over the last couple of weeks I've been moving all my data from a Raid 6 array to Stablebit Drive Pool, I initially just installed Drive Pool and moved all the data across.

I then installed Stablebit Scanner, and after a bit off faffing about I got smart data working - I have a Highpoint Rocket Raid 2720SGL (Full system spec here)

Now I have a couple of old Samsung HD103SJ drives I was using to move data around, these worked perfectly until I got Smart data working, then they started suddenly failing when copying data back to them for backup purposes - the raid controller gave the following error:

Mon, 21 Sep 2015 06:22:26 GMT:
[272x_1x]:     Disk 'SAMSUNG HD203WI-S1UYJ1CZ411725' at Controller1-Channel6 failed.

I thought it suspicious that both these drives failed pretty quickly in succession when I started using them again, so tried one in my desktop system, it worked fine, back in the server they very quickly failed again. Then I twigged I'd got Smart data working since using them, so I disabled the Unsafe option and tried again, so far so good, I've copied across 700GB of data and it's still going fine.With Unsafe checked they'd fail pretty quickly

Is this expected behaviour, as I can't find much information about the unsafe option?

Also I can't find what the default advanced options are (could do with a reset button), could somebody tell me if I've changed anything I shouldn't of (pic attached)?

Once I've finished backing up I'll re-enable Unsafe so that Smart works for the other drives - 4 x 4TB WD Red's.

post-2150-0-42319400-1442862932_thumb.jpg

Check the "Unsafe" option under "Direct IO".  

And restart the system (or use "services.msc" to restart the "StableBit Scanner Service".

This is required for the HighPoint cards. If you're still having issues, install the management software.

As for the issue, did you move the drives around without rebooting? If so, reboot.

Otherwise .... this maybe normal. I had frequent drops with my highpoint card, which is why I got rid of it. But that .... was with the ST3000DM001 drives ... which failed not long after replacing the card.

If you have another controller, try the cards on that controller and see if they have any issues.

Thanks for the reply.

The two drives in question only had problems when "Unsafe" was checked, with it unchecked I was able to copy across nearly 2TB of data without problems, now that I've removed these drives I've re-enabled smart via the "unsafe" option. Those drives were also OK in another PC running on normal motherboard Sata, so the problems must be in relation to the "Unsafe" option. It's quite possible I removed and inserted these drives without rebooting.

Thanks for the reply.

The two drives in question only had problems when "Unsafe" was checked, with it unchecked I was able to copy across nearly 2TB of data without problems, now that I've removed these drives I've re-enabled smart via the "unsafe" option. Those drives were also OK in another PC running on normal motherboard Sata, so the problems must be in relation to the "Unsafe" option. It's quite possible I removed and inserted these drives without rebooting.

That's entirely possible.

The "Unsafe" option uses commands that have been known to cause issues on certain controllers. So it could be the case. 

Unfortunately, there isn't a good option here. Because it really seems like "getting smart data and make the drives unstable" or "don't get SMART data from StableBit Scanner".  And neither of those are a great option. 

I've let Alex (the developer) know, but I do believe that we planned on looking into better support for the Highpoint (and other cards), so that may fix the issue in the future. 

It's not an ongoing problem for me as I given one drive to my brother, and the other is just used as an off site backup, as they were getting quite old and I had planned to retire them some time ago. The 4 drives that I use work fine with "Unsafe" enabled. If you need me to do any testing when looking into better support for the Highpoint card let me know.