Can Somebody ELI5 This for Me?

Diablosblizz

Question

Hi,

I'm hoping to get more information regarding this product. I am an avid supporter of Scanner and DrivePool, and i was excited to see CloudDrive on the website yesterday. I've installed the trial and have setup a provider with Dropbox. I've got a question about how the product works.

I've got 7 drives pooled in DrivePool, and I've set my Dropbox provider's cache to one of those pools. I can see a CloudPart folder has been created on one of them as the cache. The size of the folder is 5GB (what I've got in total for Dropbox) and the Size on Disk is 1GB. I know I am able to upgrade my storage in Dropbox to 1TB, however I'm curious how it works on the local side of things. I am assuming that the "size" (5GB in current scenario) is the maximum size the cache can be and the 1GB is the current size of the disk. I am planning on using this software for Plex (local media server) storage and can have many files going onto the drive at once. How does this work with the online? I assume that if I transfer a 3GB file to the drive it will stay in cache until it can upload to the cloud? Is this correct? Let's assume that if I upgrade to 1TB, is that 1TB always used on the cache drive?

How does it work on the other side of things? Let's assume we're watching a 30 minute file which is in Dropbox. How much if it is locally stored and how much is stored in the cloud? Let's assume that only the first 5 minutes of the file are cached and I skip to half way. I assume it would download the correct parts of the file from Dropbox if not stored locally?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Well, it sounds like most of the questions involve the cache, here.

The cache is used as an unload buffer, so that you can copy data to your CloudDrive faster than your upload speed would normally allow.   

So, you can fill the cache drive and it will upload the data as it can, so you can use the drive without any issues.

As for the downloading, it "pre-fetches" the data from the cloud provider and stores it in the local cache to hopefully produce smooth access (and playback), but this depends on your connection.

Watching a video on the cloud drive would download the chunks for the file before you need them, so that there isn't (hopefully) any lag. 

As for the cache size, we use "sparse files" I believe. They show up as larger than they actually are, and can grow based on the actual contents.  The cache size sets the target of what should "remain" on disk. Anything past that is "dumped" as long as it's not waiting to be uploaded.