Windows 10 support etc

Yekul

Question

Ahoi hoi,

Just wondering what's planned for Windows 10? Does the current Windows 8.1 build workf ine or will there be other issues to address etc?

Trying to decide which system to load up for server, however with official release of Windows 10 in a month or so, i'd rather not reinstall everything in a months time!

Anyone currently using it on the latest release with success? Or any reasons not to make the jump? Have Windows 8.1 so will be entitled to the upgrade, however don't much like the idea of loading everything up and THEN updating in a month (prefer a cleaner install).

Anywho advice/help appreciated!

My son clued me into StableBit drivepool and scanner.  He's been using it since Windows 8.1 and had no problem with the Windows 10 upgrade (at least a month ago) even though the stable version isn't supposed to support windows 10.  I am also on Windows 10.

1) Scanner: I installed the stable version and had some issues.  They seemed to have fixed themselves after a reboot, but no... I just looked at the ErrorReports and I still see errors.  So I will follow the advice and upgrade to the beta version.

2) DrivePool:  What is safer for Windows 10, using the stable version (that seems to work fine for my son) or using the beta version (and possibly not get the automatic updates once it becomes stable)?

Sorry for not getting to you sooner

My son clued me into StableBit drivepool and scanner.  He's been using it since Windows 8.1 and had no problem with the Windows 10 upgrade (at least a month ago) even though the stable version isn't supposed to support windows 10.  I am also on Windows 10.

1) Scanner: I installed the stable version and had some issues.  They seemed to have fixed themselves after a reboot, but no... I just looked at the ErrorReports and I still see errors.  So I will follow the advice and upgrade to the beta version.

2) DrivePool:  What is safer for Windows 10, using the stable version (that seems to work fine for my son) or using the beta version (and possibly not get the automatic updates once it becomes stable)?

Either version should work with Windows 10 without a problem.

However, if you're concerned at all, or experience any issues, then please do grab the Public Beta build (2.2.0.651) as that does officially support Windows 10, as well as includes a bunch of bug fixes.

Tyvm. One quick followup: how do I deactivate license? In Settings I see "Manage License" and then the only option is "Transfer License."

That's ... odd, It should give you a "Deactivate" option. If not, click on the "transfer" and run through that. If that doesn't work, then let us know directly at http://stablebit.com/Contact

Hi - I've installed the Win 10 'Fall' update.

Now when I start or restart my PC I get an error message telling me a drive is disconnected from the pool.

When I check they are all there.

I have Drivepool running on 3 PCs - so I check them all. They all appear OK.

Is this a bug?

Now when I start or restart my PC I get an error message telling me a drive is disconnected from the pool.

Is this a bug?

This is likely a timing issue with the service. Specifically, it may not be seeing all of the drives until a bit later in the startup process, which would trigger the behavior you're seeing.

Run "services.msc", find the "StableBit DrivePool Service", right click on it and select "Properties". Change the startup type from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed)".

Reboot the system and see if this fixes the issue you're seeing.

If it doesn't, please open a ticket (http://stablebit.com/Contact) and upload the logs from the system:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Is a timeframe for a "stable" release with Windows 10 support already planned?

I am still holding off my WHS 2011 pool migration (still on v1) because of this and with the recent Windows 10 update to build 10586 I hope that the developers did not have to start from scratch.  :unsure:

Is this a bug?

Have to report that when my system was forced to upgrade.

Microsoft's sneaky upgrade.  My system started doing the same thing as IAN.

I pulled the system down to board and it still kept giving a Hard Drive was disconnected.

I then folled your advice Chris and it still says the same thing.

It had me kill my system for nothing.  I am at a loss but one thing has come out of it.  It gives me a reason to replace my case.

Have to report that when my system was forced to upgrade.

Microsoft's sneaky upgrade.  My system started doing the same thing as IAN.

I pulled the system down to board and it still kept giving a Hard Drive was disconnected.

I then folled your advice Chris and it still says the same thing.

It had me kill my system for nothing.  I am at a loss but one thing has come out of it.  It gives me a reason to replace my case.

Try installing the beta build (2.2.0.651) and see if that helps.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Download

if not, let me know.

Windows 10 and Drivepool operability.

I have been running Drivepool on a WHS2011 machine for a few years now and am happy with the results.

In anticipation of WHS going away, Back in March, I started a test on a Windows 7 machine with Drivepool.  At the time, there were some posts about problems with Windows 10 and Drivepool.  However, I was not in a position to test.  At least from what I could determine Drivepool works fine on Windows 7.  Where I got into trouble was with MS Onedrive and syncing files on the machine.  I have read through pages of post, but cannot find anything that will give me some guidance on Windows 10.  So, I am hoping the someone can point me to better search tags on this forum.

Terry Walsh in his “Building a Windows 10 Home Server” is recommending Drivepool over the built in Storage Spaces.  At this point, I am agreeing with his concerns about Storage Spaces and want to proceed with Drivepool.  So, I am hoping someone can point me to posts on using Windows 10 and Drivepool for a home server.  Most of what I found so far are hardware issues that I don’t think apply to me (yet). 

Thanks for any help here.

As for OneDrive sync on Windows 10, it should work fine.  

Windows 8 had an issue, because it was using an unique file system object for the synced files.  However, Windows 10 goes back to the more traditional style, and works absolutely fine with the pool.

Actually, I just "tested" this on my desktop system, so I can definitely verify that it works fine (windows 10 Pro x64, StableBit DrivePool 2.2.0.651+)

Hi mate

Can I upgrade my server to windows 10 yet ?

Well, we haven't had any reported issues with Windows 10, either on the stable or beta versions, so definitely. 

The Public beta is compiled with the Windows 10 SDK, so should be "more compatible", but other than that, either version should be safe to use. 

I just checked still in Beta

When is release due?

There isn't one yet.

We do plan on addressing some of the outstanding issues remaining and pushing out a release version once StableBit CloudDrive has a release version. 

Other than that, I can't really give you any sort of time frame. 

Hi, I installed the 2.2.0.651 beta on windows 10 version 10586.104 on a new machine.  I had 5 drives from a different computer that I moved into the new machine and I pooled them.  I see the pool and it's reporting the used/free space correctly.  However, when I double click on the drive icon there are no files present (and it says this folder is empty).

Is there a possible security issue because I swapped these drives from a different machine?

Should I expect to see all the content once the "Pool Organization" bar in the software is green or do I need to wait (overnight?)

Hi, I installed the 2.2.0.651 beta on windows 10 version 10586.104 on a new machine.  I had 5 drives from a different computer that I moved into the new machine and I pooled them.  I see the pool and it's reporting the used/free space correctly.  However, when I double click on the drive icon there are no files present (and it says this folder is empty).

Is there a possible security issue because I swapped these drives from a different machine?

Should I expect to see all the content once the "Pool Organization" bar in the software is green or do I need to wait (overnight?)

The issue is because we do automatically add the contents of the disk to the pool.

In fact, we actively avoid doing that, so you can continue to use the disks as they were without disrupting your system configuration.

However, that doesn't appear to be an issue for you, and you will want to "Seed" the drives:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

A remeasure is all you really need. The reset facilitates that.

And if you don't see the troubleshooting menu, then you may have skipped over the note about using the "StableBit DrivePool (Troubleshooting)" option in the start menu. In the 2.2 version, you need to use this option to get the troubleshooting menu. 

Hello,

I've recently installed StableBit Drivepool (stable version 2.1.1.561, not beta) on a win10 pro OS. I've noticed an inconsistency in how the pool interfaces with windows. Some windows 10 processes recognize the entire pool while others think the pool is 1.99TB. Details below.

Configuration 4x3TB HDDs formatted with GUID Partition Tables.

DrivePool Size=10.9TB

Windows File Explorer=10.9TB

Windows DiskPart.exe=1.99TB (confirms DrivePool is GPT)

Windows Disk Management=1.99TB

I'm concerned about what will happen when I surpass 1.99TB. After reading through this thread I plan to switch to the beta version to see if windows can consistently read the drivepool size. Is there a documented method to update to beta that doesn't involve rebuilding DrivePool?