Windows 10 support etc

Yekul

Question

Ahoi hoi,

Just wondering what's planned for Windows 10? Does the current Windows 8.1 build workf ine or will there be other issues to address etc?

Trying to decide which system to load up for server, however with official release of Windows 10 in a month or so, i'd rather not reinstall everything in a months time!

Anyone currently using it on the latest release with success? Or any reasons not to make the jump? Have Windows 8.1 so will be entitled to the upgrade, however don't much like the idea of loading everything up and THEN updating in a month (prefer a cleaner install).

Anywho advice/help appreciated!

Unfortunately each time I've rebooted the collection of logs is automatically stopped in the app.  The most recent occurrence had the pool fail within 30 minutes.

I found the following error message in Event Viewer:

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error CreateFileW(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\,0x80000000,0x00000003,...).  hr = 0x80070001, Incorrect function.

Operation:
   Processing PreFinalCommitSnapshots

Context:
   Execution Context: System Provider"

In this specific occurrence the time was 8/20 @ 5:56:41 pm CT.  The event source was "VSS", the Event ID was "12289", the task category was none, and the event level was "Error".  After this error occurred the pool was gone again (I haven't yet rebooted again due to other ongoing backup tasks that are a higher priority).

Less than a minute later there is a single additional event for the source "VSS" which was at time 5:57:36 pm CT.  The Event ID, task category, and event level were the same as the previous event.  The event details are nearly identical except the second error was ShadowCopy2 rather than ShadowCopy1.

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error CreateFileW(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2\,0x80000000,0x00000003,...).  hr = 0x80070001, Incorrect function.

Operation:
   Processing PreFinalCommitSnapshots

Context:
   Execution Context: System Provider"

There are three warnings/errors in the 15 minutes prior to the first event listed above and both of these events are for the source "Kernel-EventTracing".  The first is a warning and the second event is an error.

The first event (warning) which occurred at 5:56:12 (event ID 4 with task category of "logging") is:

"The maximum file size for session "ReadyBoot" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\ReadyBoot.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 20971520 bytes."

The second event (error) which occurred at 5:56:12 (event ID 3 with task category of "session") is:

"Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188"

The third event is an error for source CAPI2 which occurred at 5:56:31 (event ID 513 with task category of "none") is:

"

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.

"

I suspect this information is not of much use without the more detailed log files but unfortunately for this occurrence this is all that I have available.

~John

Additional information for the pool disappearing issue I'm having with Windows 10.  Ever since my last reboot which triggered the installation of new Windows 10 updates (I'm on the slow cycle for updates which are still forced updates) the issue hasn't re-ocurred.  Granted it has only been about a day but this is a good sign compared to my experience the last couple of weeks so I thought I'd mention it in case the Windows 10 updates does end up resolving my issue.

Okay, then whatever was triggering it was fixed.

Likely, it was something that we rely on or call. It's hard to tell.

As for the VSS Stuff, we don't use it or support it, and it shouldn't make a difference here. As for the readyboot stuff may be related. Though, it's hard to tell.

If this happens again, do let us know (and see what updates it installed recently, if you can).

Quick update that as of 01:27 am CT on 08/24 I still haven't had the pool disappearance issue re-occur since KB 3081441 cumulative update was installed on 08/21.

Two updates were installed but unfortunately they are cumulative updates and for the second one the updates actually installed should be one of the fixes dates on or after August 13th in the KB page:

1) Security Update for Microsoft Windows (KB 3081444) installed on 08/21 => a single new Internet Explorer update was included in this cumulative update and thus is unlikely to be the culprit.

2) Update for Microsoft Windows (KB 3081441) installed on 08/20 (auto-installed during the reboot after the final pool disappearance/crash) => the latest Windows cumulative update which supercedes the previous cumulative update (KB3081440 released on I believe August 12th which should have already installed on my PC the previous week as part of the mandatory updates - it is not listed in my installed updates presumably since KB 3081441 replaced/superceded it)

Attached (it didn't publish in a readable manner) is an extract from KB 3081441 of all of the Windows 10 64-bit updates that were published on or after August 1st, 2015 (i.e., I stripped out those prior to those date since I'm definitely no more than 1 week behind on Windows 10 updates)

KB 3081441 x64 updates published after 08-01-2015.doc

It looks like the update was to fix an install issue with this one:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081438

if you look at the list of affected files, there are a lot of core files in there. So yeah, I can definitely see this fix affecting the Pool this way. (or the system in general). 

And even the ones you list, there are definitely some critical stuff there.

Unfortunately the problem has re-ocurred again regarding the disappearing tools in Windows 10 x64 on my desktop.  It could be a coincidence but it crashed around the time my computer was accessing a Blu-Ray via AnyDVD HD and PowerDVD 14.  I uploaded the generated log files as well a few hours ago using the form on the log collection page.

Could you see if if this build helps:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.636_x64_BETA.exe

It does have preliminary Windows 10 support, so it may work better.

And I've flagged the logs for Alex.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/19780

I'm curious if anyone who was running ver xxx.636 has upgraded to xxx.639 yet?

I'm on 638, but there shouldn't be a significant change between the versions.

Hi guys, my first post here !  :P

Planning to test Drivepool on my new windows 10 rig before buying (with snapraid for parity protection). 

What version should i try ? The stable one or this beta ?

Thanks

Welcome!

And we recommend the release version, whenever possible. 

So the 2.1.1.561 version. However, please feel free to use the internal beta builds, if you would like. They're not as tested, but they should work just fine.

For StableBit Scanner, the public beta build is pretty stable. But the newer ones should be as well, and are compiled with the Windows 10 SDK.

As for StableBit DrivePool, the 2.2.0.639 build is pretty stable, and should be usable (though the 636 build and up are Windows 10 compatible)

I installed yesterday the stable version with Windows 10 and only 1 disk in the pool and everything seems to work fine. I will surely wait for a stable release before upgrade :)

Is the scanner worth a try ? I fear that it will not let my disks to sleep with all its checks...and for what i know there is not a simple way in windows to see if a disk is sleeping or not (to control what is happening with the scanner)

I installed yesterday the stable version with Windows 10 and only 1 disk in the pool and everything seems to work fine. I will surely wait for a stable release before upgrade :)

Is the scanner worth a try ? I fear that it will not let my disks to sleep with all its checks...and for what i know there is not a simple way in windows to see if a disk is sleeping or not (to control what is happening with the scanner)

There are a bunch of options in StableBit Scanner to "reign in" the access.

Specifically, there is a work window that you can set (it is set by default on certain profiles, eg ... all of them but "Desktop").  Additionally, there are options to throttle the SMART queries if it's keeping the disks awake, as well. 

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=General

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=SMART

How are the Beta builds doing?  I currently have version:  2.2.0.612 x64 installed on WHS2011 and it's doing ok.  But it's from April and a Beta so am thinking of upgrading to a newer build.

I couldn't find a true "Beta build" thread so I checked here and found the last comments on HDD clicking,etc.... not something I'd like to upgrade to having happen.

Is 651 (man that's a few updates from 612!!) have a fix for this BitLocker check issue?

Would you say 636 is the newest "safe/most stable" Beta?  If not what build is?

Lots of questions. :)

You can find the change logs here:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/changes.txt

The 651 build is the public beta build, so it should be very stable. And the safest one to use, actually.  And is the one I would recommend using.

As for the BitLocker issue... detection of encrypted drives being unlocked is fixed.

However, we changed the detection to be enabled by default. However, it may be part of the detection routine that wakes the drive (as it is considered activity). That's the issue mentioned. 

If you don't care about the disks idling, then there should be absolutely no issues. But if that is an issue, then disable the mentioned setting in the advanced settings file.

How about for a clean install of Windows 10?

Right now I'm running Windows 8.1, and I have Drivepool 2.1.1.561 installed. I have 2.2.0.661 beta downloaded and can upgrade if necessary.

What I'll be doing is, installing the Windows 10 upgrade via Microsoft's update process.

And then I'll do a clean install of Windows 10.

What's the safest way to do this so my Drivepool is recognized on the clean Windows 10 install?

What's the safest way to do this so my Drivepool is recognized on the clean Windows 10 install?

If you plan on doing a clean install:

Deactivate the license prior to doing so. 

(ideally) disconnect the pooled disk, to ensure no issues with the installation (it does weird things sometimes, if the system disk isn't the first disk).

Reinstall Windows.

Reconnect the disks (if they were disconnected).

Reinstall and Activate StableBit DrivePool.

Once the OS has been reinstalled and once StableBit DrivePool is installed, the software will recognize the pooled disks and automatically rebuild the pool. 

If you plan on doing a clean install:

Deactivate the license prior to doing so. 

(ideally) disconnect the pooled disk, to ensure no issues with the installation (it does weird things sometimes, if the system disk isn't the first disk).

Reinstall Windows.

Reconnect the disks (if they were disconnected).

Reinstall and Activate StableBit DrivePool.

Once the OS has been reinstalled and once StableBit DrivePool is installed, the software will recognize the pooled disks and automatically rebuild the pool. 

Tyvm. One quick followup: how do I deactivate license? In Settings I see "Manage License" and then the only option is "Transfer License."