• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Windows 10 support etc

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Yekul

Yekul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

Ahoi hoi,

Just wondering what's planned for Windows 10? Does the current Windows 8.1 build workf ine or will there be other issues to address etc?

Trying to decide which system to load up for server, however with official release of Windows 10 in a month or so, i'd rather not reinstall everything in a months time!

Anyone currently using it on the latest release with success? Or any reasons not to make the jump? Have Windows 8.1 so will be entitled to the upgrade, however don't much like the idea of loading everything up and THEN updating in a month (prefer a cleaner install).

Anywho advice/help appreciated!

#2 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:37 PM

"Soon".

We are waiting on the new version of Visual Studio to be released, so that we can properly compile a native Windows 10 version.

Once this is done, we will compile it, test it and release it as soon as possible.  In fact, we hope to do so before the July 29th release date, but no guarantees.

So we're waiting on Microsoft.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#3 Transient

Transient

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 05:55 AM

Microsoft announced that Visual Studio 2015 will be available on July 20th and it will include the final Windows 10 SDK. That gives developers 9 days to compile and test before the July 29th release of Windows 10 -- not a whole lot of time!

#4 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:20 PM

Ouch. :(

And yeah, that's not a lot of time at all.  

We won't promise to make the WIndows 10 GA release schedule, but we would definitely like to!

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#5 rtech73

rtech73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

Glad to hear that it'll be priority.   Windows 10 is REALY good and excited to get my server upgraded to it (and all my other PC's - you can't beat FREE!)

#6 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

Glad to hear that it'll be priority.   Windows 10 is REALY good and excited to get my server upgraded to it (and all my other PC's - you can't beat FREE!)

Yeah, because well, most people will be upgrading, likely. Especially because it IS for free.

However, I don't get it for free. :(  

All of my systems are domain joined, so they're not eligible for the upgrade.  And yes, I feel like I got screwed.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#7 Carlo

Carlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:38 PM

Yeah, because well, most people will be upgrading, likely. Especially because it IS for free.

However, I don't get it for free. :(

All of my systems are domain joined, so they're not eligible for the upgrade.  And yes, I feel like I got screwed.

You're not screwed at all. But MS is being smart and they are not "touching" domain computers (and they shouldn't!!!).

All you have to do is login to the local administrator account to initiate the upgrade.

http://answers.micro...917cea21?auth=1

Carlo

#8 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:26 PM

You're not screwed at all. But MS is being smart and they are not "touching" domain computers (and they shouldn't!!!).

All you have to do is login to the local administrator account to initiate the upgrade.

http://answers.micro...917cea21?auth=1

Carlo

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely understand the reasons behind Microsoft's decisions, but they don't have a documented way to reserve and upgrade it for people using Essentials.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#9 metaldood

metaldood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

Should users wait and not upgrade to Windows 10? I have the RTM build downloaded and can upgrade to Windows 10 today. 

Edit :- I decided to risk the upgrade. Drivepool and scanner work okay afaik.

#10 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:47 PM

Should users wait and not upgrade to Windows 10? I have the RTM build downloaded and can upgrade to Windows 10 today. 

Edit :- I decided to risk the upgrade. Drivepool and scanner work okay afaik.

I would recommend waiting, yes. 

However, we do have a good number of users on Windows 10 already, without any issues. We have had a report of a couple of UI related issues, but if the build you are on is indeed the RTM build ,then it should work fine.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#11 mcrommert

mcrommert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

I purchased drivepool because even though i like flexraid, they are slow to catch up and i need win 10 pooling right now.  Tested a few months ago and it didn't work, but read here that it was now working.  Because i already used the trial i couldn't test so i bought drivepool.  It is still not working for me...the drive shows up but there seem to be no files in it.  Any recommendations?

#12 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

Well, glad to hear you like it, and have purchased it!

And as for the files, if they're not located in the PoolPart folder, they won't show up in the pool. So it sounds like you need to "seed" the pool:
http://wiki.covecube...vePool_Q4142489

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#13 e36M3

e36M3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

Is there a tentative date for when official Windows 10 support is coming?  Being that it's going to be rolled out tomorrow I'm sure many are eagerly waiting to upgrade.

#14 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

Is there a tentative date for when official Windows 10 support is coming?  Being that it's going to be rolled out tomorrow I'm sure many are eagerly waiting to upgrade.

As soon as possible.  That's about the best we can promise.

The issue is that the SDK for Windows 10 doesn't "drop" until tomorrow as well.  Additionally, the RTM ISOs are not even on MSDN yet.

So there is no way we can properly check for Windows 10 support until tomorrow at the very minimum. 

Additionally, because the kernel has changed, that means that we need to verify that a version compiled with Windows 10 support actually functions properly.  Otherwise, it could absolutely cause BSODs, or other crashes.  So on top of any issues we run into getting it to compile properly in the first place, we need to extensively test it to make sure it's working properly, as well. 

We would have liked to have been doing that last week, so we could at least try for a matching release date... but when the SDK isn't released, there isn't much we can do.

In the meanwhile, plenty of people have already "tested" the current version on Windows 10, and it seems to work just fine.  (some minor UI bugs, be we suspect that was due to the beta version of .NET Framework).

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#15 Gnarfoz

Gnarfoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last night and DrivePool does not seem to recognize my pool members (or the pool they make up).

It only offers to create a new pool using the remaining drives. The pool members are still mounted in the folders they were mounted in before.

(I tried assigning a drive letter to one of the pool members instead, but it still does not show up in the DrivePool window.)

6XfONKU.png

Edit:

I managed to fix it. Sadly, using a "we will never know" method. ;-)

I saw this issue that got implemented in one of the beta builds of version 2.2 and it looked like it might fit my problem. So I tried upgrading to the latest beta build (2.2.0.634). However, the upgrade would just fail every time and not change anything.

So I went ahead and uninstalled the stable version -- and here's where the "we will never know" part comes into play -- went straight to the 2.2 beta. The drives showed up after that. Might be that uninstalling and re-installing the stable version would have achieved the same. I had tried using the "repair" option of the stable installer before, though, and it didn't help.

sAkFWaX.png

Edited by Gnarfoz, 31 July 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#16 HS86

HS86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:02 PM

I can't find the download link for the 2.2.0 beta. Where can I find it if I want to switch from WHS 2011 to Windows 10?

#17 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last night and DrivePool does not seem to recognize my pool members (or the pool they make up).

It only offers to create a new pool using the remaining drives. The pool members are still mounted in the folders they were mounted in before.

(I tried assigning a drive letter to one of the pool members instead, but it still does not show up in the DrivePool window.)

6XfONKU.png

Edit:

I managed to fix it. Sadly, using a "we will never know" method. ;-)

I saw this issue that got implemented in one of the beta builds of version 2.2 and it looked like it might fit my problem. So I tried upgrading to the latest beta build (2.2.0.634). However, the upgrade would just fail every time and not change anything.

So I went ahead and uninstalled the stable version -- and here's where the "we will never know" part comes into play -- went straight to the 2.2 beta. The drives showed up after that. Might be that uninstalling and re-installing the stable version would have achieved the same. I had tried using the "repair" option of the stable installer before, though, and it didn't help.

sAkFWaX.png

Do you know the specific issue?

Was it an "0x800070634" error? If so, that's usually a "pending reboot" error. Though, that's not always the case... and the installer we use is not very good at passing that information along. 

I can't find the download link for the 2.2.0 beta. Where can I find it if I want to switch from WHS 2011 to Windows 10?

All beta builds an be located here:

http://dl.covecube.c.../beta/download/

However, be careful when grabbing files from there. In some cases, new builds can break things.  Generally, it's best only to grab a specific build that we (Alex or myself) recommend for you, as it's usually for a specific issue.

That said, the 2.2.0.634 build is fairly safe.

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#18 kpate77

kpate77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

Any updates to Windows 10 compatibility?

#19 Gnarfoz

Gnarfoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

The above mentioned version 2.2.0.634 has been working fine for me.

Are you having actual problems, or just asking?

#20 kpate77

kpate77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Just asking.  I had been waiting to switch from Flexraid (which is also not working well with W10).  I guess I'll give it a shot and see how it does.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users