• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

OneDrive for Business Provider Issues

Alert

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 letho

letho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

I've seen the public response of Alex in the issue:

That is intentional because OneDrive for Business doesn't support partial downloading of chunks (aka HTTP range requests). This means that for every read, no matter how small, we end up downloading at least the chunk size (1MB maximum currently).

If I understand it correct, there is a big overhead while making small reads. On the other hand I think that the actual max chunk size of 1 MB increases the overhead in download-time for big files, because the maximal number of download threads is limited so it adds one Round-Trip-Time to the download-time for every additional Request.

• Ginoliggime, KiaraEvirm and Antoineki like this

#22 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

If I understand it correct, there is a big overhead while making small reads. On the other hand I think that the actual max chunk size of 1 MB increases the overhead in download-time for big files, because the maximal number of download threads is limited so it adds one Round-Trip-Time to the download-time for every additional Request.

There can be yes, because of the added protocol and header info.  

However, the other issue here is latency.  While it may be more bandwidth efficient to use larger chunks, it adds additional access time to the drive itself.  Prefetching may help, but that's for SEQUENTIAL reads.  

But what happens when you have a bunch of random reads?  Like what is common for NTFS info access?  Then you have to download each large chunk, and wait on it.  If the system has to wait too long, it can (will) lock up the system.   it's something that we've seen.  That is why there is a timeout value, and why there is a limit on the number of errors that can occur before the drive itself is unmounted.  

The problem is that we have to balance web traffic an disk I/O to prevent issues on either end, and that's not exactly an easy act. ESPECIALLY when the web provider doesn't allow partial reads.

The other thing, is that we'll download the entire file rather than chunks, in certain cases (eg, when needed, when it makes sense).  But otherwise, downloading the entire chunk is not just inefficient, but wasteful. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#23 letho

letho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for your explanation. Then it makes sense to use only 1 MB as chunk size. I hope Microsoft will add partial download soon.

#24 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for your explanation. Then it makes sense to use only 1 MB as chunk size. I hope Microsoft will add partial download soon.

Well I doubt they will.  IIRC, OneDrive for Business is using SharePoint as the backend.  :(

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#25 Karlotta Rahl-Schaden

Karlotta Rahl-Schaden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hi, i have an Office 365 business test account and try onedrive with clouddrive. I use an 100 mbps down and 40 mbps upload connection.

i get only rates below 10 mbps uploading. Is this normal? - I have to correct me: it seems less then 5 mbps :-(

With amazon cloud drive i get ~ 20 mbps. Not good but better then onedrive.

I need an provider where i can upload with the maximum of my conection :-(

#26 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hi, i have an Office 365 business test account and try onedrive with clouddrive. I use an 100 mbps down and 40 mbps upload connection.

i get only rates below 10 mbps uploading. Is this normal? - I have to correct me: it seems less then 5 mbps :-(

With amazon cloud drive i get ~ 20 mbps. Not good but better then onedrive.

I need an provider where i can upload with the maximum of my conection :-(

To be blunt, then the OneDrive for business may no be the best solution.  It's backed by "SharePoint" which is known to have performance (and other) issues. 

That said, try creating a new drive.  When doing so, open the advanced settings.  Increase the "storage chunk size" and increase the "maximum download size". 

Once you've created the drive, click on "Drive Options" -> "Performance" -> "I/O Performance", and increase the number of upload and download threads. 

These changes may significantly increase performance here. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users