Covecube Inc.
  • Announcements

• Christopher (Drashna)

Login issues   11/07/17

If you have issues with logging in, make sure you use your display name and not the "username" or email.  Or head here for more info.   http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3252-login-issues/  
    • Christopher (Drashna)

Getting Help   11/07/17

If you're experiencing problems with the software, the best way to get ahold of us is to head to https://stablebit.com/Contact, especially if this is a licensing issue.    Issues submitted there are checked first, and handled more aggressively. So, especially if the problem is urgent, please head over there first. 
JosephKav

Smart check not accessible - Proliant Gen8 Microserver

Question

So I just installed the Scanner after using Drivepool for about 15 days now, however, with both of my disks I get "The on-disk SMART check is not accessible on any of your disks". Also, this http://prntscr.com/7a7lgz. However, smartctl seems to give me SMART data. Any ideas on how to fix? I'm currently using a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.

I tried unsafe DirectIO but that did not seem to work. Any help would be much appreciated

32 answers to this question

I'm also trying to get the SMART data working on my Gen8, was there any update on this?

I spent quite sometime getting my microserver setup to use RAID0 rather than AHCI so really do not want to have to go back.

Cheers.

If you're using RAID, and especially if the disks are in a RAID array, then no. Sorry. 

I see that HDSentinel can read the SMART data okay from all of the disks though, so it does seem possible.

That's because HDSentinel is querying the RAID controller directly, using proprietary commands, with no regards to the volumes that exist on the RAID array. 

Part of the issue is that we don't really like using proprietary commands like this, as it can cause issues if they're not issued correctly. And I've personally seen HDSentinel cause a system to become unstable when used.

Additionally, because of how we display the disks, we would need to identify which physical disks belonged to a "logical" disk (aka RAID array), and then we'd have to figure out a way to meaningfully display the SMART (and other, if accessible) data, as well as identify which disks belong to which array. 

Because our primary concern is the surface scans, this means that the actual disk/array presented to the OS is the primary concern. 

I appreciate that you have your reasons on what to support or not, it's just a shame that all my main drives don't get the monitoring I was expecting.

Regarding the disk display, in this case there is only one physical disk per array so identifying and displaying wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the response though, I'm glad to see a support forum actually supporting :)

I appreciate that you have your reasons on what to support or not, it's just a shame that all my main drives don't get the monitoring I was expecting.

Regarding the disk display, in this case there is only one physical disk per array so identifying and displaying wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the response though, I'm glad to see a support forum actually supporting :)

Well, to be honest, this has been a frequently brought up topic, that we do plan on addressing in the future. Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA for this.

However, Storage Spaces disks are affected by this issue as well. We can "see" them, but presenting the information in a useful manner suffers from the same issues.  It will (at best) take a significant rewrite to the code to properly address this (both the backend, and the UI), so it's not a minor thing to implement. 

But it's definitely been on our mind. 

And you're very welcome. :)

Any update? Scanner still does not see any underlying Storage Spaces disk. This is making me slowly moving away from Stablebit products due to lack of any progress in development.

Sorry, no, not yet.

But Alex (the Developer) is currently going through our backlog of StableBit DrivePool issues.  Once he's done with that, the plan is to then go through the StableBit Scanner issues (including the Storage Spaces request).