WHS 2011 with DrivePool and Scanner with FlexRAID parity protection?

g725s

Question

Please post any input on having Stablebit's DrivePool and Scanner with FlexRAID's parity protection software RAID on a WHS 2011 system...Your thoughts on how they coexsist and how best to set up a system with both of them.

Also interested in why you choose DrivePool over using FlexRAIDs own pooling option.

6 answers to this question

Thoroughly talked about here (on old forum)

http://forum.covecube.com/discussion/comment/4556#Comment_4556

Thanks read that and a couple of others now.

But one thing that I did not find discussed was if Stablebit's DrivePool and Scanner have been used in conjunction with FlexRAID's parity protection.

Anyone?  How did these three perform together on a WHS 2011 machine?

That really depends more on how FlexRAID is implemented.  

Installing it in a VM, it seems that FlexRAID mounts the drives to a folder path, but uses the drives "normally" otherwise.

So, DrivePool and Scanner should work great with FlexRAID. Both in monitoring SMART data, and in scanning the drives for errors.

I didn't do any testing out than cursory to see if it works. Just enough to see if "all the moving parts work right", and they appear to do so.

Thanks read that and a couple of others now.

But one thing that I did not find discussed was if Stablebit's DrivePool and Scanner have been used in conjunction with FlexRAID's parity protection.

Anyone?  How did these three perform together on a WHS 2011 machine?

As long as Flexraid and scanner are not working at the same time (doing a flexraid update while Scanner is scanning a drive or the same drive FR is reading) you should be fine, since neither application knows that the other exist, if you have scanner set to do nothing on high throttling, and FR is running a update, scanner should do nothing. Since FR doesnt have such a mechanic, if it runs during a scanner scan, the scan should give priority to FR if high throttling is set. any other of throttling options might give performance impact since scanner will try to run at the same time as FR if both are started.

Confused about DP and FlexRAID (and yes I read the old forum information):

Been testing DP and FlexRAID.  Tested DP for about a week and I like the duplication.  Installed FlexRAID over it to test them together.  So here's my question(s).

currently I have 4 drives, 3 of them are pooled into one from DP.  I have a couple of folders setup as duplication (photos, documents, etc), and now I want to setup up other folders (Movies, Music, Backup) as Parity under FlexRAID.

So, when I setup FlexRAID, I'm confused, do I:

1. Select the 3 separate HDs as DRU's and the 1 "no data" drive as a PRU? (but then wouldn't that create a Parity for ALL the data?)
  2. Select the 1 DP Pooled drive (the D: Drive) as one DRU? and the "no data" HD as a PRU.... ???

I tried the 1st option under "expert" mode so FlexRAID wouldn't manage the pooling, and started the raid and ran the validation, but nothing seems to have changed.  I see the Parity drive has data, but I can't seem to get any options on which folders to select for parity...?