How to delay Drivepool service after reboot

tlin1688

Question

I have 64 disks. Every time after system reboot, some of disks were not ready yet before DrivePool would complain and re-measure. And that take a long time to re-scan the full thing.

My questions is:

1. Is there a way to disable the automatic "re-measure"? I don't use duplicate, no need for auto-placement and balancer. I just want a simple file pool.

2. If disable not possible, can I delay it for minutes?

5 answers to this question

That's a lot of disk! :)

As for the problem, a while back, we added the "Virtual Disk" service as a dependency for the StableBit DrivePool service. This should help with the "Missing disks" issue.

To check, run "services.msc", find the "StableBit DrivePool Service", right click on it, and select "Properties", Open the "Dependencies" tab. If it doesn't list the Virtual Disk service, then you may want to update or add this manually.

If it does display this, and it's still having issues, try setting the startup type to "Automatic (delayed)". This should delay the startup by a bit, to allow the system to load all of the disks before starting the service.

Just remember that the UI will not load properly until the service has actually started.

Alternatively, you could set the startup type to "manual", and set a scheduled task to run a minute or two after startup, and run "Net start DrivePoolService" to manually start it.

I ran "services.msc", find the "StableBit DrivePool Service", right click on it, and select "Properties", Open the "Dependencies" tab. It does list the Virtual Disk service.

Then I set startup type to "Automatic (delayed)"

I reboot the system. No missing disks this time!

Thanks.

Like I said, we had added the virtual disks dependancy. Since I wasn't sure which version you were using, I wanted to make sure that was configured. 

As for the service startup type, that's fantastic news! 

I'll pass this along to Alex, and see if it would be a good idea to set this as the default.

(https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/13509)

And specifically, the delayed start is supposed to start the service approximately 2 minutes after the first automatic service starts. That should be plenty of time, and definitely appears that way.

Regards