Wd red drives 3Tb or 4 Tb any problems with either

robti

Question

16 answers to this question

I have the 2.5 inch 1 TB and it is fast enough.   the 1 issue ive had was when I had to run a system reload I diconected the red drive to hook a dvd rom up... after reload I reconnected the red and my system would not see it.... so I called newegg and got it rmad immediately new drive is back up running flawlessly.. im getting ready to oder the 6 TB red and my best advise is backup backup backup...and im switching to a usb dvd rom for system reloads because disconnecting hdd sucks.

BTW newegg rma is much faster than WD

Nope, no problem at all.

In fact, I run mostly 4TB WD Red drives (and a few 4TB Seagate NAS drives as well).
No issues at all

In fact, as long as the disk is initialized as GPT, there is no practical partition size limit, as it supports well past the TB range for sizes.

And StableBit DrivePool will initialize and partition disks "properly" when adding them to the pool, if needed.

I just installed a 4TB red WD drive in my WHS2011 using both DrivePool and Stablebit scanner.  No issues.

I did used the WHS2011 add new storage drive wizard and for some reason it decided to go with MBR instead of GPT.  I decided to leave it that way and let there be two partitions instead of one for the physical HDD.  Just left the balancers rule for equalizing volumes on same drive enabled and it shouldn't matter.  Maybe it'll spread the wear / location of filling the disk up differentially with two partitions?  Likely won't matter a lick either way.

As for the drive working with the software / OS & Covecube's it's a dream (well for the two weeks it's been going).

PS - I also decided with adding this harddrive to go ahead and change to leaving all 5 of my server drives spinning 100% (no idle/standby/sleep).  No ill effects yet but I don't miss the lag due to drive spin ups when accessing the server!

Yeah, WHS2011 likes to use MBR, but either should be fine (we prefer GPT).

And yes, StableBit DrivePool is smart enough to know which partitions are on which disk, and will place duplicated data on different PHYSICAL disks.

And as for the sleep/spin up stuff, yeah, that's why I've never bothered. I use my server a lot, and share it with friends and family, so there is no reason to spin down (that, and we have solar :P )

i've heard of a few issues with some of their drives early on, something like infant mortality. etc. How long would you guys test a hard drive before being confident it has the ability to take its place in the pool?

Yeah, they're supposed to suffer from "infant mortality".

And for me, if they pass a full surface scan, they get put into the pool right away.

And since I duplicate everything, if the drive fails, it's not going to be a huge loss for me.

However, you could configure the "Disk Usage Limiter" to only place duplicated data on the new drive, if you're worried.

Yeah, they're supposed to suffer from "infant mortality".

And for me, if they pass a full surface scan, they get put into the pool right away.

And since I duplicate everything, if the drive fails, it's not going to be a huge loss for me.

However, you could configure the "Disk Usage Limiter" to only place duplicated data on the new drive, if you're worried.

Just saw another post about doing the full format to have is Zero out the disk to test it. I have her running in the background now formatting and then I am going to run that "disk usage limiter" I had No idea it was in place and it was something I was hoping existed for duplicated data. 

A "Problem" that now has made my experience better. 

Personally, I feel that the full format is unnecessary, and more detrimental to the drive's health than it is helpful.  (but all evidence for and against this is purely anecdotal). 

In theory, if a full surface scan doesn't detect any issues, it's probably fine.

And yeah, there are a good number of options in the built in balancers. Worth taking a look at. :)

2 years later and all my reds are still going like brand new.. I have a ? about the wd red pro drives that run at 7200 rpm... what is the difference between them and comparable wd black drive .. besides the 24/7 operation... I'm curious because my 5400rpm red in my gaming rig is a lil slow and I'm debating what to get for the steam collection... 

2 years later and all my reds are still going like brand new.. I have a ? about the wd red pro drives that run at 7200 rpm... what is the difference between them and comparable wd black drive .. besides the 24/7 operation... I'm curious because my 5400rpm red in my gaming rig is a lil slow and I'm debating what to get for the steam collection... 

Glad to hear it.

As for differences between the WD Red Pro's and WD Black? 

Well, most of the specs are the same (cache size, warranty period, RPM, performance, etc). 

The difference is that the Red Pro's are more durable (less errors), lower power consumption, higher max temperature , and lower volume.

Additionally, there are a number of firmware differences, such as (likely) TLER support in the Red Pro's, as well as "vibration" management/compensation. 

So really, either is a perfectly viable option, depending on what you're doing. 

I'm looking for a faster hard drive for my steam collection in my gaming rig. I'm currently using a 5400rpm wd red 3tb drive.. I'm debating going with a red pro 7200 rpm or maybe ssd but the ssd is so expensive on larger 1tb+ capacities.. so I'm thinking red pro for my drivepool on my gaming rig... any ideas would be great..

Hi

Red pro are noisy and run hot although a good drive - but expensive for what you get if you are not going to use them in a NAS

i have HGST (4tb) drives and they are fast at 170 + MB/s when lightly filled when full they drop down to ~ 120 MB/s with large files

SSD's obviously significantly faster

Have you thought of Raid 0 for stream - as long as you have a good backup strategy to protect your data - then cheaper/smaller SSD's could be used as a failure will take out the whole raid as 0 has no redundancy 

I'm looking for a faster hard drive for my steam collection in my gaming rig. I'm currently using a 5400rpm wd red 3tb drive.. I'm debating going with a red pro 7200 rpm or maybe ssd but the ssd is so expensive on larger 1tb+ capacities.. so I'm thinking red pro for my drivepool on my gaming rig... any ideas would be great..

haha, I  have a configuration for this.   

Use StableBit DrivePool.  use an SSD and HDD in the pool (speed doesn't matter).  Set the "Drive usage limiter" so that only duplicated data is placed on the SSD (uncheck "unduplicated" for it).  Then place the contents on the pool. Enable duplication for the games that you are playing, or play frequently, and disable on the drives that you don't play often or don't care about.

This way, you have the games you're using on the faster but smaller drive, and you have the larger storage for "everything", and you can cycle stuff out "as needed". 

And the read striping feature should prefer the SSD, for the duplicated files. :)

As I said, I use this exact configuration on my desktop and it works quite well. 

And even a slower hard drive is fine here, as it should use the SSD for the most part.